News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

mouser transformer

Started by panterafanatic, November 04, 2009, 07:26:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

panterafanatic

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/specsheets/XC-600066.pdf

could this be rectified as a pedal supply/ IC power supply (for say a 5v IC circuit) it does 12, 9, 6, and 4.5v but they're in AC. could i use rectification/ filtering caps to make a home brewed power supply?
-Jared

N.S.B.A. ~ Coming soon

JKowalski

Yes.

If your making a power supply, you might want to consider a voltage regulator IC. Use a LM317 if you want it adjustable.

The only reason why you would get that transformer for a pedal power supply is if you aren't using a voltage regulator (just filtering passive components) and you still want it adjustable. If you are going with a regulator, just get a one secondary tap transformer at a voltage high enough to get you what you want. Those extra taps would just get in the way.

panterafanatic

i could always cut additional leads off. should i just get the transformer then full wave rectify & power filter caps. i thought i could add in a one pole rotary to select which value i'd like. no one in my family touches electronics but me, so no worries about them frying anything with wrong voltages. would it be easier/cheaper to just us separate supplies for voltages?
-Jared

N.S.B.A. ~ Coming soon

JKowalski

Quote from: panterafanatic on November 04, 2009, 07:51:26 PM
i could always cut additional leads off. should i just get the transformer then full wave rectify & power filter caps. i thought i could add in a one pole rotary to select which value i'd like. no one in my family touches electronics but me, so no worries about them frying anything with wrong voltages. would it be easier/cheaper to just us separate supplies for voltages?

No, your idea works perfectly fine, there are a lot of adjustable wall warts out there that use the same schematic as you are proposing.

It's just that the regulator can help a lot with noise and keeping the same voltage level at various loads... And it's very simple to use. With the LM317, you can adjust the output voltage from 2-30VDC (providing you have a ~33VDC power supply) with very little ripple, if at all any, and consistent voltage levels.