individual volume controls for dual output jacks

Started by teethofthelions, November 05, 2009, 08:33:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teethofthelions

So I am building a fuzz pedal and would like to have two output jacks. I want to be able to adjust the volume of each individual output jack. The problem is, I can set this up before the 3pdt switch but at the end of the day, the outputs have to go to the same pin. Because they dump into the same pin, the pots are ultimately effecting each others output level (if I adjust one of them it directly effects the other) Is there a way I can control the output of each of the jacks and still have true bypass? Thanks!

aziltz

take a look through this article.

http://www.muzique.com/lab/splitter.htm

By putting this buffer after the output of the fuzz you can have separate independent output controls.

btw, I'm working on a Dual Input to Single output effect, the reverse of yours.  I figure out how to do Bypass with LED on a 3PDT using the Millennium Bypass.

let me know if it will be helpful, and I'll post my wiring scheme.  True Bypass if used in mono, Passive Y-Combiner with stereo input.  You could easily flip it around to make it a 1 input to two outputs, Y splitter in bypass.

teethofthelions

Cool thanks for the link. I did forget to mention that 1: i want the led and 2: I sent the output signal before the switch to two individual buffers (lm741's) but I ran into the problem of running into the switch problems, maybe I am just over thinking this. So the order, you are saying is: output of circuit, to switch, to buffer, to jacks? or are you saying output of circuit, to buffer, to switch, the out the back door? Actually, if you could post your wiring that would be really cool. I am a visual learner...Thanks!

aziltz

Individual Buffers after the split should do the trick.

I guess I missed the part about both outputs going to the same pin.  I don't know why they should do that.

I don't have a drawing program on my computer yet, so the wiring I did went something like this,

If the lugs are,
1-4-7
2-5-8
3-6-9
Then the switches are (1,2,3) (4,5,6) and (7,8,9)

My Dual Input Wiring to Signal Output went like this,

1 - Tied to 9
2 - Input A
3 - Effect In A

4 - Tied to 9
5 - Input B
6 - Effect In B

7 - Millennium Control Signal
8 - Effect Out
9 - Output Jack (Tied to 1 & 4)

So, to reverse that for your application I would do this,  Effect -> Splitter/Buffers -> Left/Right Volume Pots -> Switch

1 - Input Jack
2 - Effect In
3 - M. Control

4 - Effect Out A (Pot A)
5 - Output Jack A
6 - Tied to 1

7 - Effect Out B (Pot B)
8 - Output Jack B
9 - Tied to 1

This would mean the two output Pots are never connected, and simply go to separate jacks.  True Bypass if used in Mono.

The volume controls should not affect each other at all.

teethofthelions

Wow, thanks alot! I guess I will have to build the millenium bypass, but whatever works. I appreciate your help man. Curious to see how that pedal turns out! Thanks!

aziltz

i hope it helps.

the lucky thing is, with the millennium, we can switch 3 signals and use an LED.  to get 4 (stereo true bypass) we would need a 4Pole Switch.