Anyone know where to find boss style enclosures?

Started by realizewhoitis, November 23, 2009, 10:37:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

realizewhoitis

Does anyone know where to buy the boss style enclosure?

jacobyjd

Quote from: realizewhoitis on November 23, 2009, 10:37:08 AM

through boss?

ebay is probably your best bet for used ones.
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

realizewhoitis

Quote from: jacobyjd on November 23, 2009, 10:50:33 AM
Quote from: realizewhoitis on November 23, 2009, 10:37:08 AM

through boss?

ebay is probably your best bet for used ones.
DO you really think that would be the only way? i mean someone has to sell something similar

jacobyjd

I'm pretty sure boss gets them custom made. There's no real easy diy equivalent outside of picking up a bricked one.
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

realizewhoitis

Quote from: jacobyjd on November 23, 2009, 11:06:55 AM
I'm pretty sure boss gets them custom made. There's no real easy diy equivalent outside of picking up a bricked one.
Well that sucks.  Thanks for the info!

TheCowGod

I've actually wondered this too -- I don't need it to have the same footswitch mechanism and everything, just the same basic footprint (2 3/4" x 4 15/16"), so that my Boss pedalboard will grip my custom pedals as well as it does my Boss pedals. I haven't found a Hammond/etc enclosure with that exact footprint, though. It's such a standard size that I figured surely someone must make an enclosure in that size. No one is aware of something that'd fit? Maybe it's time to finally set up that David Gingery home aluminum foundry and cast my own damn enclosures :)

Dan

puretube

B*hringer boxes got the same size with very close loox...

probably cheap shipping, too (lightweight plastic - without the bottom-plate...)  :icon_razz:

Mark Hammer

I can't imagine that something which Boss would likely claim as a trademarked package/chassis would be available anywhere.  The same way they get the BA662 and IR3109 chips made for them and nobody else can purchase them.

puretube

There are some R*ssian and further eastern "very-close-look-alikes"...
(dunno whether they can be bought "empty", though).

alanlan

I have to say it is a bit of a design classic that enclosure.

aziltz

boogietube

Pedals Built- Morley ABC Box, Fultone A/B Box, DIY Stompboxes True Bypass box, GGG Drop in Wah, AMZ Mosfet Boost, ROG Flipster, ROG Tonemender, Tonepad Big Muff Pi.
On the bench:  Rebote 2.5,  Dr Boogie, TS808

Skruffyhound

Check out "Daphon" they might sell you some boxes, analogman stuck a delay in one of their units I think. The boxes are quite well constructed, just in cast iron :icon_biggrin: so postage might cost a bit. Alternatively, just buy one of their effects for 12 Dollars and gut it. Size wise I don't think there is a big difference to Boss,just more rounded, whether they'll fit on your board or not you'll have to check out. I could always be mistaken :icon_mrgreen:

Mark Hammer

Those are nice, but I suspect the original query about Boss-like enclosures may have been out of a desire to use a treadle for momentary switches, and those ones don't accommodate such switches any better than a 1590BB does.

SPAZ

tskullt

http://www.pedalenclosures.com
* make all the other pedals jealous *

Ben N

Quote from: Skruffyhound on November 24, 2009, 09:27:22 AM
Check out "Daphon" they might sell you some boxes, analogman stuck a delay in one of their units I think. The boxes are quite well constructed, just in cast iron :icon_biggrin: so postage might cost a bit. Alternatively, just buy one of their effects for 12 Dollars and gut it. Size wise I don't think there is a big difference to Boss,just more rounded, whether they'll fit on your board or not you'll have to check out. I could always be mistaken :icon_mrgreen:
I think the $12 Daphons, if there truly be such a thing, are the plastic-enclosed ones, similar to Ibanez Soundtanks. Some of those may be decent pedals, but you surely wouldn't buy them for the case. The metal ones are actually pretty hard to find outside of Australia, so shipping costs may undo that plan.

Although they don't have the treadle-switch feature, the marketplace is pretty full of unloved Digitech and DOD pedals that may make decent case-transfer candidates, especially if jacks and pots may be salvageable.
  • SUPPORTER

Skruffyhound

My mistake, posting too fast while at work :icon_redface:
I got two Daphons here in Denmark, a phaser and a flanger, cast iron cases and treadle switch, delivered inclusive postage for the equivalent of 33 dollars each, but that's also in Denmark where everything is taxed to hell.
They are sold under license, so it took me a while to find out they were Daphon, in fact it was Andreas at Stinkfoot Electronics in Sweden that put me straight.
They have a stuck on label from the distributor, who pretends that they are an in house own brand and writes a laughable blurb - "does just what a phaser should do" etc.
They are almost certainly direct copies of name brand effects and work rather well, no popping, unity gain etc. Surprisingly good build quality for the price, and that's after the distributors mark up.
Should be possible to find them for much less than 33 dollars with a bit of initiative, and as empty cases they must sell dirt cheap. Good luck

Ben N

Well, then, I stand corrected, too. I knew that Daphons are relabled a fair bit (kind of a sport to find them), but I did not know where. Thanks for the tip on the phase and flange, I know the echo is well thought of.
  • SUPPORTER