Innovative Stompbox project

Started by erupshaun, November 29, 2009, 11:40:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

erupshaun

;D GREETINGS MEMBER OF DIYSTOMPBOXES.COM,
I am a 2nd year EET student, and i have come up with the brilliant idea of designing a customized guitar pedal for a final project in my program. I'd like to share some of my current ideas, so you guys can give me some tips, insights, criticisms and whathaveyou...

Idea 1: A stombox combining delay/overdrive components. Perhaps model in an gradual increase of overdrive, as the feedback of the delay decays.

Idea 2: A wah wah with an expression pedal that controls both the wah pot, and also some overdrive component (drive, tone or something similar)

I am trying to come up with an innovative idea toward a stompbox. Hopefully something i wont be tearing my hair out trying to build xD
Any feedback is much appreciated  :)

btw, i'm loving this forum so far. i think i will be surfing these threads for weeks to come :icon_biggrin:

GibsonGM

I like idea #1!  Perhaps an overdrive that is VERY touch-sensitive, then into the delay.  Or simply a distortion/delay where the distortion faded back some on the repeats (but I think that may be very difficult to implement, since the delay is a sampled signal, no?).

#2 sounds like an envelope filter...not sure how it would sound if you were 'wahing' and changing to overdrive at the same time...

Really good ideas, though!  It's hard to come up with new FX, mostly things are a new twist on about 5 old thoughts, lol. 

How about a wah that can be switched to add octave on its up-sweep, that the user can pre-set so that they choose where in the sweep the octave begins to become noticeable?
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Processaurus

You could do #1 by having 5 or so different delay and overdrive circuits, kind of cobbled together in progressively less volume to make a natural sounding decay.

There is a giant yamaha delay pedal that does stuff like that, I think it is 8 digital delays that you can edit each one separately.

Or, a simpler approach, but since running a distortion in the feedback loop wouldn't decay right because distortion is a volume leveling effect, run a distortion that has a clean blend in it, like the sparkledrive (the commercial product based on the TS9, not the DIY booster, confusion) so that as the volume decays the distortion will become more present than the clean...

newfish

... or a delay pedal with an effects loop - allowing one or more pedals to be put to the 'repeats', not the dry signal.

Having a built-in overdrive / tone manipulator for the repeats would also be handy - this would save valuable floor-space given the size of some beer-crate stages.

Good luck!
Happiness is a warm etchant bath.

CynicalMan

Quote from: newfish on December 01, 2009, 05:21:12 AM
... or a delay pedal with an effects loop - allowing one or more pedals to be put to the 'repeats', not the dry signal.

A reverb with this would be cool also.

Another idea that just popped into my head is a delay with a built in reverb, that has backwards reverb right before each repeat. Or a delay where the repeats are pitch shifted. Or both!

jacobyjd

Quote from: CynicalMan on December 01, 2009, 04:28:31 PM
Or a delay where the repeats are pitch shifted. Or both!

I like to think I'm slowly working on a delay where the repeats arpeggiate...
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

wavley

Quote from: jacobyjd on December 01, 2009, 04:32:37 PM
Quote from: CynicalMan on December 01, 2009, 04:28:31 PM
Or a delay where the repeats are pitch shifted. Or both!

I like to think I'm slowly working on a delay where the repeats arpeggiate...
This is why I need to build a simple step sequencer for the CV input of my Digitech RDS-900
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

MikeH

Having a built-in overdrive / tone manipulator for the repeats would also be handy - this would save valuable floor-space given the size of some beer-crate stages.

Good luck!

FX loop in a delay is really cool.  I put an envelope filter in there once.  It was pretty wild sounding.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH