News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Ibanez CP9

Started by obblitt, December 01, 2009, 04:10:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

obblitt

Is it okay to link to Tonepad here? I'm looking to order parts next weekend, but I don't know where to start. I've never sourced my own parts before! Smallbear is a little overwhelming, and Mouser is just impossible. I was thinking of getting some parts kits to build up an inventory. I was looking here: http://www.futurlec.com/ValuePacks.shtml

Anybody want to help?

aziltz

take the time and go through small bear.  start with the ICs.

you can print a list of what you need from tonepad.

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

SmallBear is great. Their search function is not the best, but the stock list is manageable to browse by category. I suggest you try Smallbear again :)
www.tonepad.com : Effect PCB Layout artwork classics and originals : www.tonepad.com

MikeH

The nice thing about smallbear is that virtually all of the parts there are for building pedals- so ordering the wrong thing (or at least something that you could never put to use) is almost impossible.

Buying kits to stock up on parts is really kind of a waste of $$  :icon_sad:
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

obblitt

Quote from: MikeH on December 01, 2009, 02:23:45 PM
The nice thing about smallbear is that virtually all of the parts there are for building pedals- so ordering the wrong thing (or at least something that you could never put to use) is almost impossible.

Buying kits to stock up on parts is really kind of a waste of $$  :icon_sad:

Ya think? Dang...

Okay. I'll try it again.

I just get a little confused about the resistors and the capacitors. All the different kinds, with the resistors there's 1/8W and 1/4W and 1% and 5% and carbon comp and metal film etc. I just don't know what to get.

MikeH

Steve is super helpful if you want to email him any questions.  Might not be lightning quick with his responses as he's pretty busy over there, but he always answers.

For resistors, most people use the 1/4 watt 5% carbon film.  That's a pretty standard type.  1% metal film are good for designs when you really want to minimize noise, like in compressors.  Carbon comp are the vintage style resistors, and they are very noisy.  I avoid them.  the wattage rating doesn't really matter in 9v stompboxes- they all will work, it's just about size.  1/8 watt are a lot smaller.  1/4 watt are a little easier to work with and the lead spacing is perfect for most layouts.

For capacitors you want the panasonic low voltage ones.  Others will work but size becomes an issue.  Anything in the 20-50volt rating range is good in terms of size.  I think smallbear only carries film caps, but that's what you want to use anyway.  Ceramic has it's time and place, but in general I avoid them; they are noisier and less 'smooth' sounding.

For opamps and transistors and stuff, remember it's the numbers in the middle that are most important.  A JRC1234D and an LM1234Q will be the same in 99.9% of instances.  The letters at the beginning usually denote the manufacturer and the extra letters at the end are for temperature or voltage rating or package type, etc.  Stuff we usually don't have to worry about.  And stuff that you definitely don't have to worry about if you're buying from small bear, because like I said, they only sell stuff that's used for making stompboxes.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

obblitt

Wow. Great info MikeH, thanks so much - very appreciated.  :icon_mrgreen:

obblitt

So for the CP9, I need an LM13600 IC, and Smallbear carries a NJM13600D... will it work?

bigchasbroon

Quote from: obblitt on December 01, 2009, 06:29:42 PM
So for the CP9, I need an LM13600 IC, and Smallbear carries a NJM13600D... will it work?
I am a bit of a noob but as I understand it they are the same LM is the designation given by national semiconductor and NJM is the prefix given by new japan radio. Its alwasy agood idea to google the datasheets for each and compare, definately aids learning.

I agree with the sentiments on buying parts kits, I have tonnes of parts now but always seem to be missing something.

bigchasbroon

oops MikeH just answered that. I should have read the other posts  :icon_redface:

aziltz

i highly recommend buying a metal film resistor pack off of ebay, and the cap kits that small bear puts together.  you can get box caps, electrolytic and silver mica, all in useable values with a case.

I bought a bunch of the starter packs from Futurlec, and it wasn't worth it IMO.  Not only did I have to wait a month and a half, but 2/3rds of the ICs are unusable for what I am doing.  I only use the ceramic caps for breadboarding.