Best DIY delay pedal?

Started by Hupla, December 05, 2009, 03:09:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hupla

So guys what do you reckon is the best delay pedal to build? I wanna build one eventually after the BSIAB2 and Dr. Boogey im building

I like the look of the PT-80 from GGG. Is it good?
Completed builds: BSIAB2
Pedals to build: Dr.Boogey, TS-808

jacobyjd

It depends on what you're looking for :) I would argue that the tape delay emulator/abomination of a delay I've been conceptualizing for the past two months will be the best :-P Some might argue that a BBD delay is going to be better than any PT2399 delay you could put together.

Anyway...of the 2399 delay projects, it looks like the Echo Base takes the cake. With the ability to choose between tails/true bypass, modulation control, etc, I think it's a solid project based on those features alone.

The again, the Rebote 2.5 is a solid project as well, but it's definitely filtered to act like an analog delay, so keep in mind that it's muddy.

I don't know a whole lot about the PT-80, but I'd put my money on the Echo Base.
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

Hupla

Quote from: jacobyjd on December 05, 2009, 03:23:53 PM
It depends on what you're looking for :) I would argue that the tape delay emulator/abomination of a delay I've been conceptualizing for the past two months will be the best :-P Some might argue that a BBD delay is going to be better than any PT2399 delay you could put together.

Anyway...of the 2399 delay projects, it looks like the Echo Base takes the cake. With the ability to choose between tails/true bypass, modulation control, etc, I think it's a solid project based on those features alone.

The again, the Rebote 2.5 is a solid project as well, but it's definitely filtered to act like an analog delay, so keep in mind that it's muddy.

I don't know a whole lot about the PT-80, but I'd put my money on the Echo Base.

I think im not gonna go with analog as some of the muddy sounds that you get from them dont sound great to me. Prefer the cleaner sounding delay.

Ill have a look into the echo base alright though.
Completed builds: BSIAB2
Pedals to build: Dr.Boogey, TS-808

Taylor

Echo base isn't quite as clean-sounding as commercial digital delays like Digidelay, DD-3, etc. The PT2399 has an inherent sound that's kind of between analog and digital, and the Echo Base's feedback clippers contribute even further to the analogish sound, IMO.

That said, it's one of the coolest projects I've built, and I always take the opportunity to give Slacker a nod for a nice job.

oldschoolanalog

Quote from: jacobyjd on December 05, 2009, 03:23:53 PMAnyway...of the 2399 delay projects, it looks like the Echo Base takes the cake. With the ability to choose between tails/true bypass, modulation control, etc, I think it's a solid project based on those features alone.
+1.
But then...
If you must have a BBD based Delay the AD3208 (with two 3205's) will give you the true analog delay sound many of us have come to know and love.
There is also a very interesting BBD based pedal happening at "the other" stompbox site ;). Highly recommended.
Neither has the "bells & whistles" of the Echo Base however.
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

fpaul

I have a boss dm-2 I bought new many years ago and I built a PT80.  I prefer the PT80, repeats are clearer without any added artifacts and it sounds really good.  PT80 is on my board; I never used the DM-2 very much although it does sound good.  Just not for my style of music, it has kind of a spacy, airy sound.  The PT80 self oscillation is much harsher though if you're looking for that.  I don't really have much use for that except for occasional amusement.  Just my opinion, ymmv.
Frank