Need diminsions of Futurlec rotary switches, can someone help me?

Started by svstee, December 29, 2009, 08:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

svstee

I am planning on building a Vibra-matic III and a gristleizer as soon as some parts show up in the mail. Both of these use rotary switches and I bought the ones I need from Futurlec. I'd like to drill out the boxes now so I can do all the preliminary stuff and I can get these projects going as soon as possible., but I don't know how big the switches are. Does anyone have the dimensions of these things? The site doesn't say or give a part number that I could check.

Thanks!

Ripthorn

Depending on the switch (I think they are all the same), the threaded portion is the same as a regular pot and the contact area is about 1" wide, though along the longest dimension it is more like 1 1/8".  I don't have one with a pair of calipers in front of me, but these are the nominal dimensions of one I used a while ago.  Keep in mind that the shaft is quite long and a regular knob will not sit very close to the surface of the enclosure.
Exact science is not an exact science - Nikola Tesla in The Prestige
https://scientificguitarist.wixsite.com/home

svstee

Thanks! I'll give myself 1 1/8th" t be sure. Are you pretty sure it wasn't any bigger than that? I saw that they would sit kinda high, but there really isn't anything you can do about that, is there? If it was a set-screw type I'd break out the hacksaw, but I don't think that will work too well on the knurled shaft.

Ibanezfoo

Quote from: Ripthorn on December 29, 2009, 10:07:29 PM
Depending on the switch (I think they are all the same), the threaded portion is the same as a regular pot and the contact area is about 1" wide, though along the longest dimension it is more like 1 1/8".  I don't have one with a pair of calipers in front of me, but these are the nominal dimensions of one I used a while ago.  Keep in mind that the shaft is quite long and a regular knob will not sit very close to the surface of the enclosure.

If I remember correctly, the rotary switches I got back when I built a GT2 the shaft was a little larger than the Alpha pots that Futurlec sells...  I remember the depth/underside of the switches pissing me off because they were so big and I had to rearrange my box a little bit to accommodate them.