News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

GGG 70's Fuzz

Started by lpstudio, January 05, 2010, 07:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lpstudio

I am planning on building one and have heard conflicting reports about c2 being backwards and I also noticed it uses a 22uF cap where every other fuzz uses a 2.2uF. I have seen pics of a fulltone 70 and it used a 2.2uf.

Has anyone built this and is the layout in fact good?

Thanks
Ron

Crawf

Hi,I built it a few months ago using the GGG layout and it worked first time, and i used the component values listed ,hope this helps.

lpstudio

Thanks that helps lots I have the toner transfer on the board just waiting to etch. How did the fuzz sound and is the mid knob very useful?

Thanks
Ron

Crawf

Well to be honest i don't use it as i felt it was a bit bright for my taste,the mid knob did tame it down a bit though,i've been trying to get a fuzz on my board for years but i'm never happy with them,but go for it as it's an easy build and i'm sure you'll like it,let me know how you get on,cheers Crawford.

petemoore

What amp for what sound...
  Pretty cool lead tones, driving rythm stuff is what I got from the circuit when I used it. Tube amp a little cranked fun for playing leads, a touch of synthy edge to the fuzz.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

slacker

Quote from: lpstudio on January 05, 2010, 07:38:14 PM
I am planning on building one and have heard conflicting reports about c2 being backwards

On the schematic C2 is backwards, the negative end should go to ground, on the parts layout it's the correct way round.

lpstudio

Quote from: petemoore on January 06, 2010, 03:13:01 PM

It's for a friend that has a vintage traynor mark 3 I think it will sound good with his jeff beck strat

wavley

Quote from: lpstudio on January 06, 2010, 07:36:38 PM
Quote from: petemoore on January 06, 2010, 03:13:01 PM

It's for a friend that has a vintage traynor mark 3 I think it will sound good with his jeff beck strat

As a man that owns three Traynors with a bass player that makes four in the space I can tell you that Traynors LOVE pedals, it's a great amp to run a dirt box into.
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

petemoore

8)
  I'ts funny the 'name associations' I used to make with amps, now that I know better that is. I associated Traynor, not as being someones last name, but with a ''beginner amp'' connotation ???.
  I think yer bud'll be able to get an intense, standout lead tone with the 70's Fuzz.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

fuzzo

After 2u2 increasing the values is useless , in my opinion, that will change anything.

I made the 70's from GGG (some people say that Fulltone used that schematic to may his own fuzz with the same number) and I wasn't very sastified with that fuzz. the "mids" knob has a tiny role on the sound, it just bumps the volume, no mids (but when you look where it's placed you can easely deduce there's any mids control there). I transformed the circuit into a regular fuzz circuit with a external bias control ala "peppermint".

wavley

Quote from: petemoore on January 07, 2010, 09:42:17 AM
8)
  I'ts funny the 'name associations' I used to make with amps, now that I know better that is. I associated Traynor, not as being someones last name, but with a ''beginner amp'' connotation ???.
  I think yer bud'll be able to get an intense, standout lead tone with the 70's Fuzz.

In a way you are right on the Traynor thing.  Pete Traynor was a rental repair guy, he was tired of fixing blown up amps so he designed amps that were really hard to blow up... over sized Hammond transformers and such.  The Bassmaster is loosely based on the Bassman except the early ones used 7027 outputs then switching to the Philips 6CA7 outputs they also have the classic mustard caps that are common to classic era Marshalls and Hiwatt. 

But by the mid 70's through the 80's Pete's association with Traynor had diminished and just like when Leo left Fender things just went to crap.

I have a dead stock 69 Custom Reverb, a 72 Custom reverb that I've modded with a little Fender, Hiwatt, and Marshall mixed together and a 72 6BQ5 Bassmate that has been Tweaked but not modded beyond recognition and they are all really great. 
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

lpstudio

I also have the mark 3 but the head version and I know it loves pedals. I like the rat and the crunch box through mine and am building the amz mosfet booster for a lead boost. I run mine through an avatar 4x12 with cl80's and v30's and it sounds sweet with that combo. I don't know if I would be much of a fuzz guy but I will try his when it's done for a few days :)

Thanks
Ron

lpstudio

I finally got around to making this thing and the only thing I changed from the layout was the 2.2 uf cap and it sounds pretty good just not enough fuzz. Any ideas on how to get more fuzz? it seems to sound not bad biased at about 6 volts if I turn it down the fuzz gets weaker i think.