Jfet Buffer (tilman)

Started by Hupla, January 13, 2010, 11:19:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hupla

Hey guys. I want to change the tilman buffer so that I take the output from the source and have the full 9v on the drain instead of a resistor.
I believe that this will get rid of the slight bit of gain its giving me and possibly stop changing the sound of my BSIAB2 for the worst (IMO).
What I want to know is will this achieve it? Im not near my BB and just had this thought.
I also want to keep the buffer as an inverting buffer, so will my changes keep it as an inverting buffer?

Thanks Guys. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Completed builds: BSIAB2
Pedals to build: Dr.Boogey, TS-808

earthtonesaudio

Taking the output from the source will be non-inverting.  If you want to keep it inverting and just reduce the gain, decrease the value of (but do not short circuit!) the drain resistor.

Hupla

Quote from: earthtonesaudio on January 13, 2010, 11:26:09 AM
Taking the output from the source will be non-inverting.  If you want to keep it inverting and just reduce the gain, decrease the value of (but do not short circuit!) the drain resistor.

Thanks man that's what I was afraid of. Yeah I'll see if that makes a difference. It makes the BSIAB sound more compressed or something and doesnt sound that great but I need the inverted signal as it's getting rid of some squeals for me :)

liquids

Quote from: Hupla on January 13, 2010, 11:28:46 AM
Hey guys. I want to change the tilman buffer so that I take the output from the source and have the full 9v on the drain instead of a resistor.
I believe that this will get rid of the slight bit of gain its giving me and possibly stop changing the sound of my BSIAB2 for the worst (IMO).
What I want to know is will this achieve it? Im not near my BB and just had this thought.
I also want to keep the buffer as an inverting buffer, so will my changes keep it as an inverting buffer?

The Tillman is not a buffer, either.  If you want phase inversion, but not to affect the sound, do an inverting op amp buffer. 

http://www.muzique.com/images/buff10.gif
Breadboard it!

Hupla

Quote from: liquids on January 13, 2010, 12:20:17 PM
Quote from: Hupla on January 13, 2010, 11:28:46 AM

The Tillman is not a buffer, either.  If you want phase inversion, but not to affect the sound, do an inverting op amp buffer. 

http://www.muzique.com/images/buff10.gif

yeah i was considering this also thanks.