Effect Pedal Design Project!!!!

Started by erupshaun, January 16, 2010, 08:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Processaurus

well say you had extra potentiomiters on a guitar, controlling the variables of a delay pedal. you could change things such as the delay time and feedback rate without trying to bend down and change things on the pedal itself.

The little I've been able to try that on synth guitars (a G-707 into a GM-70, if that means anything) it is really great.  Here's a free/gratis idea to anyone with the skills to make it, a guitar with a handful of knobs that sends MIDI wirelessly to a box that can assign the knobs different CC's and channels, that plugs into things that take midi, like the Line 6 M13, and control knobs on effects.  Or, into a digital mixer, for soundman stuff, like you could control your own monitor mix, or mix effects or volume of someone else in the band, out in the house.

apothem

jkokura

It seems to me that you want to solve problems guitarists have right? That's part of the project?

It sounds like powering an effect or cabling various effects and the amp together seems to be the major 'problems' people are facing (just rereading all the posts). Another could be the desire to control effects from the guitar, however that kind of problem is a little less universal.

Jacob

wavley

Quote from: Boogdish on January 17, 2010, 01:53:19 PM
I think you should put on your red energy dome and try and start thinking like DEVO.

External control IS the problem with modern guitar effects circuitry.  People want freedom from choice, not freedom of choice.  Make a pedal that will control itself and sound good and people will buy it. 

You've just made a new friend!

I love Devo with all my heart.
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

wavley

Quote from: Taylor on January 16, 2010, 09:19:44 PM
Quote from: Brymus on January 16, 2010, 09:09:11 PM
How about a design that uses the whammy / tremelo bar to control some type of effect that is normally foot controlled ?
For instance a wah pedal.

Done 50 years ago I'm afraid...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWC1uzg-Yr0

Anybody got a schematic for this guitar so I can pretend that I'm in Spacemen 3?

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

DougH

How about something that is controlled by a wireless remote like a Wii? Something that can sense movement in 3-d space?
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

wavley

Quote from: DougH on January 19, 2010, 01:34:44 PM
How about something that is controlled by a wireless remote like a Wii? Something that can sense movement in 3-d space?

The keyboard guys have beat us to this, wiimotes are bluetooth and you can get a wiimote to MIDI converter program.

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

JKowalski

Quote from: wavley on January 19, 2010, 01:18:23 PM
Quote from: Taylor on January 16, 2010, 09:19:44 PM
Quote from: Brymus on January 16, 2010, 09:09:11 PM
How about a design that uses the whammy / tremelo bar to control some type of effect that is normally foot controlled ?
For instance a wah pedal.

Done 50 years ago I'm afraid...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWC1uzg-Yr0

Anybody got a schematic for this guitar so I can pretend that I'm in Spacemen 3?

Ahaha  :icon_biggrin:

I am actually building a semi-replica of it for my brother. The repeater effect is available online (look up vox repeat percussion) and I assume the fuzz is the tonebender... Bass/treble boost could really be any bass/treble boost circuit (I like this one personally), and the E-tuner is easy just a stable oscillator  :icon_biggrin: Wah, probably a same-era vox wah circuit. Don't think there is anything new or out of the ordinary in it.

The one I am making will probably only have a few of these features (ditch the wah and e-tuner).

rosscocean

What about a pedal that controls the controls on a guitar with a built in channel switch so you could change pickups and amp channel at the same time while playing? There's been loads of times I've wanted to be able to do it.I know it'd mean moding the guitar too but I've never anything that does it.

jkokura

Quote from: rosscocean on January 19, 2010, 06:38:38 PM
What about a pedal that controls the controls on a guitar with a built in channel switch so you could change pickups and amp channel at the same time while playing? There's been loads of times I've wanted to be able to do it.I know it'd mean moding the guitar too but I've never anything that does it.

BRILLIANT! Then I could build a guitar with no controls, but rather have a morley style volume pedal with tone controls to set for both the 'channels' (bridge and neck pickup), the volume pedal to control the pickups, and then have a pair of stomp switches to control the 'channels' - Neck or Bridge, or both - ABY style.e

I have no idea how to make that happen, but the idea is freaking brilliant! I don't know how often I'm playing and I hit a switch I didn't mean to, or a knob.

Jacob

rosscocean

Couldn't you just use a stere jack and lead? The pickup selector could be a swich with a volume for each pup, then the tone after that. The if the channel switch was fairly close to the pup swtch and then they could be hit at the same time if desired.   
Quote from: jkokura on January 19, 2010, 06:43:59 PM
Quote from: rosscocean on January 19, 2010, 06:38:38 PM

BRILLIANT! Then I could build a guitar with no controls, but rather have a morley style volume pedal with tone controls to set for both the 'channels' (bridge and neck pickup), the volume pedal to control the pickups, and then have a pair of stomp switches to control the 'channels' - Neck or Bridge, or both - ABY style.e

I have no idea how to make that happen, but the idea is freaking brilliant! I don't know how often I'm playing and I hit a switch I didn't mean to, or a knob.

Jacob