defective SAD1024?

Started by Auke Haarsma, January 18, 2010, 04:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Auke Haarsma

I have a couple of SAD1024's. I am trying to verify them in a 9V electric mistress.

I have a couple of working SAD1024 (working=flanging from EM).

However some of the SAD1024 do not flange. Bias and clock have been adjusted if and as required per IC.

If I compare the 'good' IC's vs the 'bad' IC's I notice:
-input signal present at pin 2, 15
-output from pin 5, 12 is present with the good IC's. The 'bad' IC's do have a signal there too, but at a much lower volume (I can't hear it, I use the scope to see the signal). The signal is about 10 times lower than that of the good IC's.

Would this indicate a defective SAD1024?

Or, is there a way to bump up the output signal?

Auke Haarsma

Mark Hammer

Is there any way to use only one half of it?  There was a period where Reticon marketed an SAD512 that was essentially a one-sided 1024, in which only one half of the stages (512) were guaranteed.

Auke Haarsma

They are stamped as SAD1024's.
If I am correct, both sides of the 'bad' IC's have a very low output. So using one side does not look feasible.

R.G.

Use your scope. If you have
(a) good signal going into the input pin
(b) good, solid ground-to-power supply clocks and non-overlapping phases
(c ) correct output loading

then a good SAD1024 will return a signal that's within 1db or so of the input, and stairstepped.

If you don't get the signal, the chip's bad.

But be very sure that item c is correct before tossing the chip.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Auke Haarsma

thanks Mark and RG.
in the 9v EM the outputs have a 470r via a 10k resistor to gnd. would that be proper loading?

http://gaussmarkov.net/layouts/mwelecmiss/mwelecmiss-schem.png

StephenGiles

What happens to the clock signals with the defective?? SAD 1024 plugged in? With the SAD unplugged, measure the voltage on pins 8 &10 (joined) and 3 & 14 (joined) - each should read about 4.5 volts. Now replace the SAD and measure the voltages again - they should be the same, if drastically different you probably have a defective SAD 1024.
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Auke Haarsma

Thanks Stephen. The voltages are stable, with and without the sad1024 in there.