Bipolar power benefits with fuzz?

Started by John Lyons, January 29, 2010, 01:52:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Lyons

Ah, ok...I get it.
Here's the switching link you refer to. http://www.geofex.com/circuits/+9_to_-9.htm
Thanks for the run down.

John
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

PRR

> are you saying that the diodes make the vref point

The two 10K and two diodes have a pretty stable half-voltage at the center.

And I hate extra parts.

In addition to the "sensitivity" trim, we want to set two more points at half-voltage. At A1 it is just a JFET, negligible load. At A2 we have boosted gitar leaked through a 100K resistor. The two 10K will absorb that sorta OK, but there's some positive feedback to A1 which makes gain a bit screwy. To be sure, bypass them well. 10uFd is ample.

R.G.'s points about jack-switching are generally right. I've always cringed when I've seen this done. But everybody does it. K.I.S.S., when you can get away with it.
  • SUPPORTER

head_spaz

R.G.
Is it possible that the Tip and Ring connections are reversed on your schematic™©®¥§ψ?
Deception does not exist in real life, it is only a figment of perception.

Gus

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/gus/sickbass.GIF.html

Built this years ago a mix of the ultra for the threshold/ gating control.  opamp muff fuzz with added switches. adjusted values for bass or guitar, yes the input caps are that small try it, .0047 and 1 meg for bass.  Adjusted gain at the first stage for bass or guitar.  A BMP tone control with values I like.

Single 9VDC supply and IMO it is a good fuzz.  This circuit is sensitive to the opamp used when the 2nd stage is used open loop.  I like NS LF353s.  I would use fet input opamps if you do not use a 353.

R.G.

Quote from: PRR on January 30, 2010, 01:00:14 AM
...And I hate extra parts.
K.I.S.S., when you can get away with it.
As my friend Albert said, "Everything should be as simple as possible - but no simpler."

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Gus

I just checked the gallery, only showed 15 views of the sickbass?   Wow I post a gem of a circuit and only 15 views?

John L. did you look at it?

John Lyons

Gus
I was one of those 15!
Sorry for the lack or response.
It looks like a fun one and it answers some
of my questions. Thanks for posting that!

When I can find time I will try it out.

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/