Can someone check this PCB layout? Thanks!

Started by mikemaddux, February 02, 2010, 08:15:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikemaddux

Im trying to teach myself this DIY layout creator software and my eyes feel like they are going to fall out of my head....

I wanted to pick something simple to try to create my own layout...

Did I do it right?  oh ya J is for a jumper....
Completed Builds: A lot...

Brymus

On your schematic Vcc goes to pins 8 and 4 on your layout it looks like pins 1 and 5 ,unless the 555 pin out is different.I thought pin 1 was always top left ?
Or I'm looking at it backwards and you mounted the 10k and that other cap on the bottom of the board ?
I'm no EE or even a tech,just a monkey with a soldering iron that can read,and follow instructions. ;D
My now defunct band http://www.facebook.com/TheZedLeppelinExperience

chi_boy

I'm no expert, but I think the 555 pins are pretty far off all around.  What datasheet did you use for the 555 pinout?  Mine shows the pin numbers 1-4 down the side with the dot and 5-8 up the other side.  Just like any old op-amp.

I've seen some layouts with pin 1 marked with a square pad.  That may clarify your intent.

You could also eliminate both jumpers by moving some traces around.
"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people." — Admiral Hyman G. Rickover - 1900-1986

The Leftover PCB Page

mikemaddux

Again, im a complete noob at this building layout stuff, so any help is very welcome.

Brymus,
I was trying to imagine what the bottom of the board would look like with the 555 sticking thru the top.

Quote from: Brymus on February 02, 2010, 09:47:41 PM
On your schematic Vcc goes to pins 8 and 4 on your layout it looks like pins 1 and 5 ,unless the 555 pin out is different.I thought pin 1 was always top left ?
Or I'm looking at it backwards and you mounted the 10k and that other cap on the bottom of the board ?

The cap and resistor are there for the forum's "visual comfirmation"

mikemaddux

Quote from: chi_boy on February 02, 2010, 10:32:54 PM
I'm no expert, but I think the 555 pins are pretty far off all around.  What datasheet did you use for the 555 pinout?  Mine shows the pin numbers 1-4 down the side with the dot and 5-8 up the other side.  Just like any old op-amp.

I've seen some layouts with pin 1 marked with a square pad.  That may clarify your intent.

You could also eliminate both jumpers by moving some traces around.

I used the pinouts on the schematic...

good thoughts on the square pad...Ill try to find it in the software

mikemaddux

Ok so this one eliminates one of the jumpers and has a square pad on pin 1 of the 555.

Am I correct in looking at this image as I would be looking at the bottom of the board?  so the IC would be reversed?
like this?

8     1
7     2
6     3
5     4
so when I look at the top of the board (component side) and the pin 1 is on the top left....when I look at the bottom of the board (solder side) wouldnt that pin 1 now be on the top right?

Thats why I put the IC layout "reversed"

chi_boy

This is the pinout I found in the Fairchild satasheet I checked.

Image is courtesy of Rabbath Recordings, forum member Joe Hart.
"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people." — Admiral Hyman G. Rickover - 1900-1986

The Leftover PCB Page

chi_boy

Quote from: mikemaddux on February 02, 2010, 10:53:24 PM

Am I correct in looking at this image as I would be looking at the bottom of the board? 

Sorry, but no.  Do the layout looking at the top of the board.  You can see the traces but it's like you have x-ray eyes and can see through the board material to the copper on the other side.  So you are looking at the side of the copper that is actually bonded to the board.  Make sense?

You can use the speaker wire as the jumper and eliminate the other jumper too.

The Leftover PCB Page

Taylor

Technically, there isn't anything wrong with the way he oriented it, it's just backwards from what everyone usually does. As long as he printed it out the proper way to get it to etch right, it will work.

For the switch+cap combos, what's with the pads in the middle that don't connect to anything?

chi_boy

Quote from: Taylor on February 03, 2010, 12:14:09 AM
Technically, there isn't anything wrong with the way he oriented it, it's just backwards from what everyone usually does. As long as he printed it out the proper way to get it to etch right, it will work.

Yes, I agree.  I thought the layout was wrong originally, but it is just unconventional.

The Leftover PCB Page

mikemaddux

Quote from: chi_boy on February 02, 2010, 11:06:00 PM

Am I correct in looking at this image as I would be looking at the bottom of the board? 

Sorry, but no.  Do the layout looking at the top of the board.  You can see the traces but it's like you have x-ray eyes and can see through the board material to the copper on the other side.  So you are looking at the side of the copper that is actually bonded to the board.  Make sense?

Thats soooooooooooo helpful....x-ray thats a great way to think of it.  Thanks a bunch!

mikemaddux

Quote from: Taylor on February 03, 2010, 12:14:09 AM

For the switch+cap combos, what's with the pads in the middle that don't connect to anything?

I tend to do things backwards from most people....lol

The pads in the middle - I believe you are refering to the wierd switch layout that I put to accomodate SPDT or SPST switches - I know, its wierd, but im trying to learn!

mikemaddux

Quote from: chi_boy on February 02, 2010, 11:06:00 PM

I see it now....thanks again!

Taylor

Are you mounting the switches on the board? If so, you'll need bigger pads (unless you have switches with PCB pins). If not, you don't need that pad to nowhere, if using an SPDT just leave one pole unconnected.

mikemaddux

Quote from: Taylor on February 03, 2010, 02:25:45 AM
Are you mounting the switches on the board? If so, you'll need bigger pads (unless you have switches with PCB pins). If not, you don't need that pad to nowhere, if using an SPDT just leave one pole unconnected.

Ya, im gonna mount the switches on the board or do some kind of stylus thing a la stylophone....

one more question, why is this thing so big when I print it out?  I searched the forum and someone said that 38-39% would be good but thats too small...

Is there a default size thing in the program that im not seeing?  Id really like to not have to search for the magic number every time I do a layout in the future, its a real waste of ink.

tiges_ tendres

Quote from: mikemaddux on February 03, 2010, 05:51:24 AM
Quote from: Taylor on February 03, 2010, 02:25:45 AM

Ya, im gonna mount the switches on the board or do some kind of stylus thing a la stylophone....

one more question, why is this thing so big when I print it out?  I searched the forum and someone said that 38-39% would be good but thats too small...

Is there a default size thing in the program that im not seeing?  Id really like to not have to search for the magic number every time I do a layout in the future, its a real waste of ink.
Turn off resampling and set your resolution to 200.25 Dpi in your graphics program.  There is no setting in DIYLC to adjust the print size.
Try a little tenderness.

mikemaddux

Turn off resampling and set your resolution to 200.25 Dpi in your graphics program.  There is no setting in DIYLC to adjust the print size.
[/quote]

What programs are suitable for this?  I have been using MS Paint and I dont see anything about "resampling" or "Dpi".........

tiges_ tendres

Quote from: mikemaddux on February 03, 2010, 03:39:20 PM

What programs are suitable for this?  I have been using MS Paint and I dont see anything about "resampling" or "Dpi".........
[/quote]

Try Gimp.  It's free!
http://www.gimp.org
Try a little tenderness.

mikemaddux

mikemaddux

It still prints out too small......

whats the process of using this gimp software?

resolutions, sizes, percentages?  Ive printed out this thing 10 times and its still not the right size!