Need enclosure advice from you boutiquers!

Started by mnordbye, February 08, 2010, 07:20:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mnordbye

I'm looking for a company etc. who can supply/produce drilled (and maybe painted) enclosures. I've got two designs, which i want to try selling.

Does any of you have some recommendations? I'm not in need of anything fancy, plain Hammond style metal boxes will do.

Thanks
General tone addict
Deaf Audio at Facebook

mnordbye

Forgot to write that i need a larger quantity of enclosures, so something wholesale like would be preffered.

Thanks!
General tone addict
Deaf Audio at Facebook

mnordbye

Quote from: glops on February 08, 2010, 07:31:45 AM
pedal parts plus

Forgot your post! Sorry. :P

Pedal Parts Plus seem a bit on the expensive side, if i'm going to buy in a quantity of 50 or so, but they seem to have a good selection at least! Best i've found so far.

EDIT: I didn't see the volume prices, so it appears pedal parts plus aren't that expensive after all! For an enclosure similar to the Hammond 1590BB, it's $5.25 from 50 pieces and up. Not bad!
General tone addict
Deaf Audio at Facebook

jacobyjd

A quick note on PPP re: their enclosure drilling service--

First, keep in mind that I order from PPP regularly. I'm not trying to discredit them as a business or anything, and I've had great service with them over the past year or so. This is just something to be aware of if you're using their drilling service.

I've never used their drilling service personally, but Colin over at ExperimentalistsAnonymous put in an order for enclosures a year or more ago, and has a detailed report on what happened on his forum. However, to summarize, he submitted very detailed instructions on how his enclosures were to be drilled (complete with CAD drawings, IIRC), and when he received his order, almost all the enclosures were out of spec. He ended up salvaging some for his Parallel Universe fuzz, but for his Space-Time Continuum delay, he couldn't get his boards to fit--it was a tight squeeze anyway, but the drilling was far enough from spec that he couldn't use them.

AFAIK, PPP wouldn't reimburse him or accept the enclosures on return--I'm not sure of the reasoning, but I do know that Colin sold his S-TC boards pretty much at cost (ended up being a fantastic deal for me!), and a great pedal run basically didn't happen.

If I were you, I wouldn't discount the service entirely, especially if you're not packing a ridiculous amount of board-mounted parts into your enclosure. However, I would suggest getting something in writing and/or requesting a single sample before you commit to a large order.

Good luck--can't wait to see your results!
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

mnordbye

Thanks for the reply Jacob, and the heads up! This is what forums are all about. :)

I'm still open to other suggestions too, keep 'em coming.

I'll post a report/pics and sounds when i get them done!  ;D
General tone addict
Deaf Audio at Facebook

kungpow79

Well, there's Small Bear.  I hope thats not too obvious.  I have no personal experience with their drilling or painting service, however.

Why not buy a drill press (cheap ones are 70-80$ I think), then maybe find a local company to powdercoat the things?  I'm just throwing out ideas...  ;D

Nitefly182

Quote from: jacobyjd on February 08, 2010, 09:56:03 AM
A quick note on PPP re: their enclosure drilling service--

First, keep in mind that I order from PPP regularly. I'm not trying to discredit them as a business or anything, and I've had great service with them over the past year or so. This is just something to be aware of if you're using their drilling service.

I've never used their drilling service personally, but Colin over at ExperimentalistsAnonymous put in an order for enclosures a year or more ago, and has a detailed report on what happened on his forum. However, to summarize, he submitted very detailed instructions on how his enclosures were to be drilled (complete with CAD drawings, IIRC), and when he received his order, almost all the enclosures were out of spec. He ended up salvaging some for his Parallel Universe fuzz, but for his Space-Time Continuum delay, he couldn't get his boards to fit--it was a tight squeeze anyway, but the drilling was far enough from spec that he couldn't use them.

AFAIK, PPP wouldn't reimburse him or accept the enclosures on return--I'm not sure of the reasoning, but I do know that Colin sold his S-TC boards pretty much at cost (ended up being a fantastic deal for me!), and a great pedal run basically didn't happen.

If I were you, I wouldn't discount the service entirely, especially if you're not packing a ridiculous amount of board-mounted parts into your enclosure. However, I would suggest getting something in writing and/or requesting a single sample before you commit to a large order.

Good luck--can't wait to see your results!

PPP doesn't really seem keen on samples. Most screening companies will supply a sample free of charge and typically setup fees are not charged and certainly aren't $150 for tiny boxes when they are. I dont think you can get anything from PPP without paying their $150 setup fee and the cost of the enclosure and paint and drilling, etc... Just my experience when I considered having them screen some boxes.

jacobyjd

Yeah, it makes sense why Colin didn't order a sample first--I'd just try to shoot for it as a possibility. Otherwise, I'd want it in writing that the order will be to spec, otherwise it'll be sent back.

Paul Marossy

For the one company I build for, PPP drills and silkscreens their enclosures. The holes are very consistent from batch to batch. I'm thinking that they might have a CNC machine that does that for them these days. I've been meaning to ask them about that, but I keep forgetting to.

John Lyons

Pretty sure they do (have a CNC now) but I think they just got it...

I've heard a lot of first hand horror stories about them...
this should help with the holes at least.

John
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Brymus

John Lyons does first rate work,IDK about quanities of that magnitude. ::) (looking at the post above - not rolling eyes)
But he recently purchased a large quanity of enclosuers that sold fast,his painted enclosures look fantastic too,
You could PM him and ask...
I'm no EE or even a tech,just a monkey with a soldering iron that can read,and follow instructions. ;D
My now defunct band http://www.facebook.com/TheZedLeppelinExperience

Cliff Schecht

I'm pretty sure everybody here hates John for the same reason I do. He simply has the best looking enclosures ever :D.

What do you usually charge for your custom 1590B enclosures?

mnordbye

Quote from: kungpow79 on February 08, 2010, 08:01:53 PM
Why not buy a drill press (cheap ones are 70-80$ I think), then maybe find a local company to powdercoat the things?  I'm just throwing out ideas...  ;D

I actually have one, but i might move to a small apartment at the end of august, so i don't have the space (or the soundproof walls that neighbours like  ;) ) to drill myself. Also, it's a cheap assed drill press! Hehe

I've looked into PPPs services, and while they are cheap, i've heard some horror stories here that has put me in doubt. I anyone have any other suggestions, please do post them! :)

Seems the setup fee at PPP is only for the screenprinting service, which i'm not gonna be using. Or am i wrong about that?

And if someone have any enclosures/ pedals in enclosures from PPP, i'd love to see a few pictures!

Thanks
General tone addict
Deaf Audio at Facebook

jacobyjd

Quote from: Cliff Schecht on February 09, 2010, 04:00:46 AM
I'm pretty sure everybody here hates John for the same reason I do. He simply has the best looking enclosures ever :D.

What do you usually charge for your custom 1590B enclosures?

Haha...yeah...I have 3 of his paintjobs sitting on my board right now. :)

Magnus, re: PPP--if you don't have any setup fee for getting the holes drilled, I'd get a sample and build it up to make sure they can do the drilling. If they demand a larger run, I'd say go somewhere else.

However, their painting is great, as well as their screen printing, AFAIK, so you could possibly get them painted/screened, then drop them off at a local machinist's shop--if your run is large enough, you might actually come off pretty well in the end if you go that route. I know lots of machine shops fill their large-job gaps with little stuff, and they might have fun doing it :-P

mnordbye

Thanks again Jacob!

Yes, i might order one just to have tried their enclosures. Gotta work on the PCB and layout first though.

Thanks for the drilling job tips too, but i doubt i'll find someone who does those services here in Norway. Small country. :) Gonna check around anyway!
General tone addict
Deaf Audio at Facebook

gmr1

I build for a couple companies - One has bent metal boxes that I get already coated/screened/cnc drilled. The Other has coated/screened boxes with a circle with an + through it for each drill hole. With an autopunch and a press, It hasn't been that much of an issue drilling the boxes (I've done 1000 or in the last year, the largest has 11 holes to drill). Going into the project I was thinking no way I'd drill all those boxes, but a few dozen at a time, and it's really not bad. The autopunch leaves a nice little divit for the bit to sit in, so it eliminates any bit travel issues.

rustypinto

I do a lot of bulk enclosure purchasing and came across this new company:

http://www.4siteelectronics.com/

They sent me quotes for common enclosure equivalents to Hammond (which i suspect are asian cross references), very competitive!

Anyone have experience with these folks? PM if interested in the enclosure and drill/ paint price lists (can we upload .pdf's here?).
  • SUPPORTER

gmr1

The 4site boxes are very nice. I find them to be a lot better than the NSC boxes we were using. The metal seems more "uniform" in color texture. They finish very nice. I'd recommend them.

As an aside, if anyone needs quantity on 125B boxes, a seller on eBay is selling lots of 100 for $170. I got some last week, and they're excellent.

edit: IIRC - PPP is now using the 4site boxes.

John Lyons

the 125Bs are $1.70 each!!!???
http://cgi.ebay.com/125B-aluminum-enclosures-diy-pedal-effects-qty-100pcs_W0QQitemZ330403122773QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item4ced8f8e55

Great price on those...too bad I don't use them though....

I'm not set up to do quantity work.
It takes forever and I don't make much...

John
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/