Modify SD-1 to work better for Bassguitar

Started by Hawkwind, February 11, 2010, 04:45:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkwind

Hi. I have found some tips on modding this pedal but I'm not sure which ones will work best with bassguitar. I know there are mods to add bassresponse but i don't know if i should alter the value even more.

Here's the schematic i found http://www.freeinfosociety.com/electronics/schemview.php?id=169

I want to get more bassresponse of course. Then i don't know i read something about the germanium diode mod to make it more vintage sounding? I want it to sound like an slightly overdriven amp so i don't need to add gain or something like that i guess.

I have most caps at home but i bought two 1N34A diodes and two 1N4001 when i found them cheap.

What do you guys recommend i do?

Paul Marossy

I don't know exactly what mods you saw, but you could try this mod:

C2 = 1uF
C3 = 1uF
C6 = remove from circuit, no jumper
D4 = pair of 1N4148 in series
C5 = 0.1uF

Hawkwind

Quote from: Paul Marossy on February 11, 2010, 10:09:12 AM
I don't know exactly what mods you saw, but you could try this mod:

C2 = 1uF
C3 = 1uF
C6 = remove from circuit, no jumper
D4 = pair of 1N4148 in series
C5 = 0.1uF

Thanks for your answer in this thread to. :icon_biggrin:

I found this page http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=72237.0

I think the mods you suggest is good but i dont have any 1N4148. I have to order online and the shipping is pretty expensive for just a diode. What do you think of a 1N34A diode or a 1N34A and a 1N4001 in series for D4? What does the 1N34A and 1N4001 do for the sound?

Paul Marossy

You could use either one of those diodes. I personally really dislike the 1N34 as a clipping diode, but I like the 1N4001s. You can even use LEDs as clipping diodes. Those have an interesting sound.

Hawkwind

Quote from: Paul Marossy on February 11, 2010, 11:39:26 AM
You could use either one of those diodes. I personally really dislike the 1N34 as a clipping diode, but I like the 1N4001s. You can even use LEDs as clipping diodes. Those have an interesting sound.

Ok. What does is the difference between one diode vs two diodes in series. More gain/dist?

Paul Marossy