Mono signal into a stereo circuit?

Started by atech, March 03, 2010, 12:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

atech

If I have a mono signal, but a circuit that wants two inputs (L & R)....what is the best way to approach this?

The plug of the lead going into the jack is a mono plug, but the actual jack is a stereo jack.

Is it as simple as just making a Y in the wire and connect the same wire to both L & R?

Mark Hammer

It will depend on what the input jacks want to see.  In their input impedance is low, then paralleling those two inputs may coax a poorer quality signal from the source if there is no deliberate isolation of the two derived signals.

Whether it is essential in this application or not, it's useful to have some sort of active splitter "just hanging around" for such an occasion.

atech

Quote from: Mark Hammer on March 03, 2010, 12:28:45 PM
It will depend on what the input jacks want to see.  In their input impedance is low, then paralleling those two inputs may coax a poorer quality signal from the source if there is no deliberate isolation of the two derived signals.

Whether it is essential in this application or not, it's useful to have some sort of active splitter "just hanging around" for such an occasion.

It's a violin signal (piezo mic)....don't know if that's high or low impedance?

Is it easy making an active splitter?

Tonemonger

Check out the AMZ J-FET SPLITTER , it's a couple of pages of detailed instructions with a nice veroboard layout.
Everyone should have one !
I have actually used one on a violin However, I don't recall what her pickup was and we may have used a line matching transformer ( radio shack used to have these ).

atech

Quote from: Tonemonger on March 03, 2010, 01:14:57 PM
Check out the AMZ J-FET SPLITTER , it's a couple of pages of detailed instructions with a nice veroboard layout.
Everyone should have one !
I have actually used one on a violin However, I don't recall what her pickup was and we may have used a line matching transformer ( radio shack used to have these ).
I will check that out, thanks!