guitar synth circuit verification

Started by Br4d13y, March 15, 2010, 09:04:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Br4d13y

freedom is the freedom to say 2+2=4

Taylor

Don't know, but it shares a core with Slacker's Slacktave and the 4ms Nocto Loco.

StephenGiles

"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

MikeH

I saw that too.  I fiddled with it on my breadboard and never got anything out of it.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

oldrocker

Yes I've tried it and it's totally useless.  I'm not sure why there was a layout created for it.  And no this circuit isn't mine.  The circuit designer shares my first initial and my last name.  I would never put my name on it unless it was awesome and worked.  LOL

StephenGiles

Quote from: MikeH on March 16, 2010, 12:16:03 PM
I saw that too.  I fiddled with it on my breadboard and never got anything out of it.

Have you been to The Ark in Ann Arbor? I have a recent Lucy Kaplansky gig there and it sounds a very good venue.
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

choklitlove

i apologize for that...  there are several threads about it and my layout is correct as fas the original schematic goes.  BUT the schematic just doesn't do anything.  it's a big mystery.  maybe i shouldn't, but i leave it up in the "unverified" status with hopes that someone will figure it out.  i should probably just delete it.  again, sorry to everyone that has wasted their time with it.
my band.                    my DIY page.                    my solo music.

slacker

Quote from: Taylor on March 16, 2010, 05:33:44 AM
Don't know, but it shares a core with Slacker's Slacktave and the 4ms Nocto Loco.

Similar idea, but a different chip, this uses a CD4046 the other two use CD4024s.

I did try something similar to this, but using the front end from the Slacktave, and if you adjust the components so that it tracks well, it just sounds like a square wave fuzz. The fun comes from making it track badly then it slides between note and warbles away trying to lock on to the pitch. It was interesting but pretty unusable at the same time.

MikeH

Quote from: StephenGiles on March 16, 2010, 04:59:46 PM
Quote from: MikeH on March 16, 2010, 12:16:03 PM

Have you been to The Ark in Ann Arbor? I have a recent Lucy Kaplansky gig there and it sounds a very good venue.

I actually was there for the first time recently.  The band was sort of a new-age jam band thing (the sort where every song is 10+ minutes long, and everyone takes 2 solos), not exactly my cup of tea, but it did have Roy "Futureman" Wooten (of bela fleck and the flecktones) on drums and he was totally awesome.  It is a very nice venue.  Very folky, definitely an older crowd.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

oldrocker

Absolutely no need to apologise Mathew.  It is a schem that's been floating around for quite some time.  I tried to build it from that years ago.  I didn't mean that your layout was the problem. It's just that the circuit wasn't worth your efforts either.  You don't have to take it down. Maybe someone can fiddle with it and get it to work.  Maybe I should since my name is already on it. lol (Joke)

choklitlove

Quote from: oldrocker on March 17, 2010, 04:00:54 PM
Absolutely no need to apologise Mathew.  It is a schem that's been floating around for quite some time.  I tried to build it from that years ago.  I didn't mean that your layout was the problem. It's just that the circuit wasn't worth your efforts either.  You don't have to take it down. Maybe someone can fiddle with it and get it to work.  Maybe I should since my name is already on it. lol (Joke)
haha, maybe i should at least specify that r. barnett is NOT oldrocker.
my band.                    my DIY page.                    my solo music.

oldrocker

Too late I think. ha ha  I'm known as the guy who created the only diy guitar synth.  And only he alone is the one person who succeeded in getting it to work.  Fact or myth.  You decide.  LOL!!  Actually my last name and first initial are posted on the original schematic even though it's not me.  You're bound to find it googling diy guitar synthesizer in the search engine.  Besides I'm too young to be that guy I hope.  LOL!!  I wonder if the other R. Barnett will read this thread? lol

slacker

Don't worry I'll clear your name, I'm going to build it and bleeding well make it work if it kills me :icon_mrgreen:

oldrocker

Cool!!  Thank goodness.  If u get it working and it sounds awesome I'll only charge a small fee for using MY schematic.  lol

TELEFUNKON

The input pin to the 4046 on the schematic doesn`t have a number attached, and at the output there should be a capacitor!
On Choklitlove`s layout there is a C6 between pins 3 and 4, while my guess is that it rather should be between pin 4 and the levelpot
while pins 3 and 4 should be tied together directly? and so on with where to go with the wiper of that levellpot!

oldrocker

Then pin 9 should be the input?  But shows it connected thru a resistor to pin 2 hmmm..  Pin 14 also going to 9 volts then?

TELEFUNKON

oldrocker

Also pin 12 with hi resistance to ground?   Unused pins 1 - 10 - 13.  Just trying to help.  lol

slacker

The CD4046 part is basically the same as the glide circuit in the EDP Wasp synth. There's a schematic here http://www.elby-designs.com/pixie/pixie-about.htm this uses the other phase comparator output (pin 2 instead of 13) but it's essentially the same. The glide circuit does what I described earlier, it tries to track the input frequency but lags behind a bit so you get a portmento effect, I guess the "guitar synth" is supposed to do something similar.
I reckon the most likely reason for it not working is that the CD4007 isn't boosting the signal enough to drive the CD4046. I'll try and breadboard it at the weekend if I get time.

TELEFUNKON

Quote from: TELEFUNKON on March 18, 2010, 02:02:34 PM
The input pin to the 4046 on the schematic doesn`t have a number attached, and at the output there should be a capacitor!
On Choklitlove`s layout there is a C6 between pins 3 and 4, while my guess is that it rather should be between pin 4 and the levelpot
while pins 3 and 4 should be tied together directly? and so on with where to go with the wiper of that levellpot!

Ooops: on CL`s layout I mistook a shadow of C6 on the component side for a trace that in reality doesn`t exist in his design after taking a closer look at the copper side! So the output at pins 3 and 4 indeed is decoupled. Sorry. The missing pin number in the schematic should read 14.