How does the Bazz Fuss work?

Started by blooze_man, March 16, 2010, 05:11:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blooze_man

I know this may seem like a dumb question considering the parts count, but I noticed that the input cap is backwards with the negative side facing the input. From what little I know, I would think that it wouldn't allow any signal to pass. So I'm just curious how that works.
Big Muff, Trotsky Drive, Little Angel, Valvecaster, Whisker Biscuit, Smash Drive, Green Ringer, Fuzz Face, Rangemaster, LPB1, Bazz Fuss/Buzz Box, Radioshack Fuzz, Blue Box, Fuzzrite, Tonepad Wah, EH Pulsar, NPN Tonebender, Torn's Peaker...

mac

The input cap must be connected this way since the base is at 0.6v and the input is connected to the guitar coil and the anti-pop resistor which are grounded.
Polarized caps are not like diodes, they work in reverse but can be damaged if the reverse voltage is high.

The diode feeds the base with some base current, and at the same time it limits the voltage between collector and base by a diode drop, ie, clipping the signal.
IMHO the diode can't do both things well. I prefer adding a base resistor to bias the transistor and let the diode do the clipping. See my gallery.

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt install ECC83 EL84

blooze_man

Big Muff, Trotsky Drive, Little Angel, Valvecaster, Whisker Biscuit, Smash Drive, Green Ringer, Fuzz Face, Rangemaster, LPB1, Bazz Fuss/Buzz Box, Radioshack Fuzz, Blue Box, Fuzzrite, Tonepad Wah, EH Pulsar, NPN Tonebender, Torn's Peaker...

rosscocean

Can you post a link to your gallery or tell me how to get to it mac?
Cheers
Ross

mac

go to the top of the page and click "layout gallery". mine is on the final pages.

mac

mayoayox

Quote from: mac on March 17, 2010, 10:59:53 AM
go to the top of the page and click "layout gallery". mine is on the final pages.

mac

Can we get that link now? it's been over ten years.

mac