Dual "Matched" FETs - U441

Started by aziltz, March 18, 2010, 03:56:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aziltz

I found some U441 6-pins transistors which are labeled as matched dual FETS.

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/vishay/70251.pdf

Has anyone ever used these?  Would they help in phasers and such where matched components are called for?

Or perhaps its just a more compact way to make a minibooster?

R.G.

Quote from: aziltz on March 18, 2010, 03:56:58 PM
Would they help in phasers and such where matched components are called for?
They're generally used for differential amplifiers. They'd be good in a Phase 45 clone, maybe. For a P90 with four phase stages or phasers with more stages, you're back into matching, but now you have to match pairs against each other.

QuoteOr perhaps its just a more compact way to make a minibooster?
That works, but SRPP and mu amps like t he minibooster don't need matched FETs.

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

JDoyle

One thing - if those don't have a pin connection for the substrate you have to make sure that neither gate is applied a voltage greater than the other JFET's source - i.e. a mu-amp, unfortunately -otherwise you will turn on a parasitic SCR that will require removing to power to reset, if it doesn't burn it up first!

You can probably avoid this by connecting the CASE to the lowest voltagein the circuit.

Regards,

Jay Doyle

DDD

Quote from: JDoyle on March 20, 2010, 12:13:59 AM
One thing - if those don't have a pin connection for the substrate you have to make sure that neither gate is applied a voltage greater than the other JFET's source - i.e. a mu-amp, unfortunately -otherwise you will turn on a parasitic SCR that will require removing to power to reset, if it doesn't burn it up first!
Is it right? The datasheet says the FETs are on the separate chips to avoid (reduce) any possible parasitics. Also, there's the same pair available in the plastic case, so what should we "ground"?
Too old to rock'n'roll, too young to die

JDoyle

Quote from: DDD on March 21, 2010, 10:12:42 AM
Quote from: JDoyle on March 20, 2010, 12:13:59 AM
Is it right? The datasheet says the FETs are on the separate chips to avoid (reduce) any possible parasitics. Also, there's the same pair available in the plastic case, so what should we "ground"?
Sorry - that condition I mentioned only applies to those on the same substrate. If they are on seperate chips, all is fine, but the matching won't be as good as if they were.

Sorry for the confusion!