Neutron Filter, which Optoisolator?

Started by JonL, April 04, 2010, 09:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JonL

Hi, can anyone recommend which optoisolator gives the best result in the GGG / RG Keene Neutron Filter? VTL5C3? CLM6000? NSL32? Do the 2 devices need to be matched for best results? Thanks for any advice!

R.G.

I believe small bear electronics stocks the original Hamamatsu part.

You can't use one of the centertapped parts, because the two LDR sections need to be separated.

Two of the VT/NS/CL/etc. parts will work OK. Ideally they should be matched, but matching is very much more difficult with LDRs, and previous builders have found that modest mismatches still give usable results.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

jdub

Unfortunately, looks like Steve at Small Bear ran out of the Hamamatsu part, the P873-13.  I was looking for one of these a while back for a Mini-Qtron build; I ended up using a couple of VTL5C3s instead- pricey, but ended up working pretty well.  Since each is a single LDR & LED, I just wired the LED leads in series.  You can also try rolling your own...
A boy has never wept nor dashed a thousand kim