News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Decal options?

Started by trad3mark, April 06, 2010, 01:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trad3mark

Hello world!
I'm just finishing off my germanium muff today/tomorrow. It's nearly done (I'm at the tonestack on a muff, so v.close!) and i plan on doing the box today. It's painted a cool copper colour, and i've a decal done in PS.

TALK TO ME ABOUT DECAL OPTIONS

I've used frequencycentral's acetate method a few times, cos it's somewhat inkjet friendly. I don't have access to a laser printer unfortunately, so i'm restricted to what can be done with an inkjet. I was in town today and got some new acetate that is supposed to be a bit more inkjet friendly than others, and, it was on sale, so, win. The guy in the shop suggested i try something like t-shirt transfer paper. He gave me an a4 sheet to test out. It's also inkjet friendly, and said he wouldn't be surprised if it would work. I'm guessing it'd be print it (he said print in reverse, no probs.) and then iron onto dry paint, then sealer after it cools. Will t-shirt transfer paper work??? has anyone used it before? i did a search, but to no such luck.

Cheers!
tm

therecordingart

Where about are you in the world? If you can get your hands on Lazertran Inkjet I highly recommend it! I like it more than regular waterslide decals because you don't need to clear coat it before use. After you apply the decal you use lacquer or enamel clear coat to turn the decal clear or you use a water based poly to make it stay opaque eggshell. I bought the stuff from an art supply store. http://www.dickblick.com/stores/

I've done T-shirt transfers, but got bubbling and weird color markings every time.

trad3mark

that looks pretty cool too. I'm in ireland by the way.

I found an example of the tshirt transfer method. Apparently, It only takes about a minute on the cotton setting (which i think is pretty low). The paint i have seems to be pretty heat resistant. It seems do-able at least, so i dunno, maybe give it a shot? If it doesn't work, i guess i can always sand it down or use nitromores and just do ricks acetate method. I just felt like trying something different for a change.

Might give it a go later, just to try it out. ;)

therecordingart

Quote from: trad3mark on April 06, 2010, 01:57:03 PM
that looks pretty cool too. I'm in ireland by the way.

I found an example of the tshirt transfer method. Apparently, It only takes about a minute on the cotton setting (which i think is pretty low). The paint i have seems to be pretty heat resistant. It seems do-able at least, so i dunno, maybe give it a shot? If it doesn't work, i guess i can always sand it down or use nitromores and just do ricks acetate method. I just felt like trying something different for a change.

Might give it a go later, just to try it out. ;)

Give it a try. It can't hurt.

trad3mark

i should let the paint dry for a day or two first, right? Any way to make it dry a bit quicker? Dry, warm spot?

therecordingart

Quote from: trad3mark on April 06, 2010, 02:26:44 PM
i should let the paint dry for a day or two first, right? Any way to make it dry a bit quicker? Dry, warm spot?

Definitely. You could buy a cheap toaster oven or a maybe use a blow dryer. I'd wait at least a few days before putting an iron on a fresh paint job.

trad3mark

hmmm... what about sitting it on the radiator?