SHO protection circuit?

Started by blooze_man, April 15, 2010, 01:49:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blooze_man

I know there's been a million threads about the sho, but i haven't seen a schematic that has the diode circuit that protects the transistor from blowing up. If anyone knows what it is and is willing to share, that would be cool.
Big Muff, Trotsky Drive, Little Angel, Valvecaster, Whisker Biscuit, Smash Drive, Green Ringer, Fuzz Face, Rangemaster, LPB1, Bazz Fuss/Buzz Box, Radioshack Fuzz, Blue Box, Fuzzrite, Tonepad Wah, EH Pulsar, NPN Tonebender, Torn's Peaker...

cpm

Quote from: blooze_man on April 15, 2010, 01:49:33 AM
I know there's been a million threads about the sho, but i haven't seen a schematic that has the diode circuit that protects the transistor from blowing up

uh... search more

~arph

A 9v1 Zener from source (I always mix source and drain up. So to be clear. The pin where the pot is at) to gate

earthtonesaudio

petemoore

Take a look at AMZ mosfet Boost.
  The gate is 20volt thick glass, 21 or so volts will break it.
  9.1v zener protects it and lets any signal <9.1v pass.
  That's one super hot input signal, 2 or 3 volts'd do me I think.
  Once the mosfet is in it's less likely to see anything but small voltage...of course the input cable tip could touch a carpet fiber or something else with a charge on it. It is common for carpet fibers to get __kv on them...morgan enough to exceed gate max V.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

blooze_man

Big Muff, Trotsky Drive, Little Angel, Valvecaster, Whisker Biscuit, Smash Drive, Green Ringer, Fuzz Face, Rangemaster, LPB1, Bazz Fuss/Buzz Box, Radioshack Fuzz, Blue Box, Fuzzrite, Tonepad Wah, EH Pulsar, NPN Tonebender, Torn's Peaker...

earthtonesaudio

The zener alone does help, but is not ideal.  Adding the resistor (in red in the drawing above) makes it about a billion times better.