Which fuzz for analogue synths?

Started by imbuedblue, May 07, 2010, 11:33:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imbuedblue

For guitar I've always prefered the Jordan Bosstone or Tonebender MKII. But synths are a whole different ballpark.

Anyway, I'm wanting to build a fuzz pedal purely for use with synths. Any recommendations on which circuit to use as a basis?

blanik

what kind on synth? i have an sh-09, sh-2 and i wired the phones output to the external input with a A100k as a volume, best distortion for those synths (tried them with BMP and other stuff... no as good)

i also did it for a friend on a moog/realistic mg-1, worked well

Fender56

Tony Banks has used a MXR Distortion + for the Genesis era (and I think he still uses one now), as well as a Phase 100 and a Boss CE-1.

Mark Hammer

1) If you already have a square wave output, what more would a clipping circuit add?

2) Most distortion circuits are predicated on an input and output signal well below the typical signal amplitude of a synth.  This means that most synths are capable of seriously overdriving just about anything oriented to guitars, and most distortion circuits may be unable to supply the sorts of output levels that are anticipated by patching loops in modular synths.

Having said that, the old Wasp synth used a 4049 or 4069 for increasing the harmonic "interestingness" of its filter, and some 70's synths included clipping diodes in the resonance loop of their filters to keep amplitude from running out of control.

frequencycentral

Edgar Froese of Tangerine Dream famously used five Big Muffs on the five voice outputs of his Prophet 5. Depeche Mode even named a song 'Big Muff'.
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

Top Top

Quote from: Mark Hammer on May 07, 2010, 12:23:14 PM
1) If you already have a square wave output, what more would a clipping circuit add?

Usually a synth isn't giving a straight squarewave (unless you set it up purposely that way with no filtering). Resonant filter -> distortion  gives that "squelchy" sound people love so much. I know I'm not telling you anything you don't know, but that's why people like it.

rosscocean

I saw a youtube video where someone was playing a synth through a (black) Russian Big Muff. I seem to remember him sweeping the tone stack and it sounding pretty good.

Ross

rosscocean

caress

i use all my effects on keyboards/synths and i have to say that most fuzzes sound good as long as you add an input attenuation to get the line level down to something the fuzz likes to see... obviously fuzzes are different so i guess look at it as you would a guitar effect - want something splatty? fizzy? full? thin? trebly? woofy? etc etc.

Dan N

I enjoy playing old Casios through Tim Escobedo's PWM.

Keyboards are great fuzz drivers. Settings that want to sputter and die with the first trace of string decay can be pushed and tweaked with the steady signal of a keyboard.

blanik

it surely depends on what your synth is capable of (single sine oscillator vs multiple osc and waves)....   if you plan on using a single osc monosynth so there's not much possibility of intermodulation, a fuzz will have the greatest effect when more than one note is played simultaneously (just like on a guitar) single guitar notes will have more sustain and some harmonic content but it's not as obvious on a synth...

this guy uses two big muffs and a wah on a Rhodes electric piano to great effect (he kicks the second muff in for the solo) i saw them live a while ago, the give a great show
http://vimeo.com/1161060

Quackzed

I would...

1.start with a si fuzz face.say a sili-face
2.add a volume control at the input to attenuate the line level signal(as mentioned above)wiper to input cap of fuzz
3. use a pot for the 2nd q's bias resistor (gated/smooth control) also helpful to tune the fuzz
4.add an 'input cap blend' pot to the front to control bass content(for a harsh edgy high fuzz/low full tthick fuzz)

so thats 4 knobs vol gain bias + tone  and you'd have a pretty versitile fuzz that should clean up pretty well if biased right and input volume low,even with a line level signal.
-all of these additions are pretty common and easy to find with a search or 2.
nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!

Processaurus

I've heard some ripping lead synth tones from the Foxx tone machine, where the synth masquarades as distorted guitar but is a little different.  Also fuzz factory is fun with keyboards, or a blue box.  Rat too.  I was actually thinking about making a stereo rat, just for keyboards and grunging up stereo audio.