News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

MXR Microflanger?

Started by Arn C., May 11, 2010, 08:30:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arn C.

I have this flanger that I am trying to repair.  It appears it may have had some water damage or moisture damage.
I cleaned up the board and tried it out .   With the pedal in or out, it sounds the same, but no flanging, the rate and regen pots don't alter the sound at all.
Is it possible it is the Reticon IC R5106 that is bad?  How could I check this?

Thanks!
Arn C.

geertjacobs

Now that's expensive...  :icon_eek:
http://www.banzaimusic.com/Reticon-R5106.html

Check for clock signal?
Check for incoming and outgoing audio with audio probe?

Related post with link to datasheet:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=30056.0

Fender3D

Quote from: Arn C. on May 11, 2010, 08:30:05 AM
Is it possible it is the Reticon IC R5106 that is bad?  How could I check this?

Microflanger sports Reticon's SAD512.
No more ICs, no equivalent :(
"NOT FLAMMABLE" is not a challenge

Arn C.

The flanger I have has the Reticon IC R5106 .   I will test the voltages on the pins and then I will audio probe it.
Thanks for the push!

Arn C.

Mark Hammer

I have a Commande Series Stereo Flanger (where they got stereo from, I have no idea), which is 98% identical to the Microflanger.  Mine wasn't working.  Mike Irwin (god bless him) took a shot at it and identified that the 4069 in there was shot.  Swapped it for a new one, and it was as good as new.  Maybe that happened with yours too. 

Arn C.

Thanks Mark!  Maybe that could be the problem.  They are quite sensitive I believe.
I will swap that out and see!
Peace!
Arn C.

Mark Hammer

Arn C.

Thanks for the schematic Mark!    I replaced the 4069, but no dice.   With the circuit "IN"  Sound is a bit brighter, but thats it.  No control with the pots.
I am betting it is the Reticon IC.   The circuit passes the guitar signal but no flanging.  Thanks all for your help.  Any more ideas let me know please...

Peace!
Arn C.

Mark Hammer

Have you played with the bias at all?

Arn C.

Yes, I tried the bias pot to no avail......

Arn C.

Fender3D

Check with a scope or a frequency meter whether you have a signal clock. (4069 pin 10 or BBD pin 1).
Otherwise your BBD is gone...
"NOT FLAMMABLE" is not a challenge

Arn C.

Thank you!  I will try this!

Peace!
Arn C.

Arn C.

The Retocon R5106  was bad.  Changed and works great!

Thanks for all your help and tips!

Arn C.

Mark Hammer

That's good news and bad.  Congratulations on fixing it.  Maybe bigger congratulations on finding a 5106.  :icon_biggrin:

But every time someone comes up with a non functioning BBD-based pedal, I have my fingers crossed for a solution that involves something cheaper than replacing an out-of-production chip.  This time 'was not to be. :icon_frown: