News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Boss pedal switch

Started by paulyy, May 16, 2010, 03:08:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulyy

Just want to know what type of switch they use. Meaning is it SPDT or something else. I would like to use a stompbox style switch in its place. Just a project I'm working on. Does any body know if smallbear carry's anything like this. Here's a link to there switches.
http://www.smallbearelec.com/Categories.bok?category=Switches%2C+Relays&searchpath=1212940&start=9&total=57
Thanks for the help

DC9V

Just opened my old CE-2 and it's just a momentary-on SPST. The actual switching is done by electronics. This is confirmed by the Boss schematics I've seen, although there might be exceptions to this design.
So in the Smallbear catalogue that's the one: http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=672
Note that any other momentary-on footswitch will work if you use the right terminals.

What's the project you're working on?

paulyy

Quote from: DC9V on May 16, 2010, 05:40:21 AM
Just opened my old CE-2 and it's just a momentary-on SPST. The actual switching is done by electronics. This is confirmed by the Boss schematics I've seen, although there might be exceptions to this design.
So in the Smallbear catalogue that's the one: http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=672
Note that any other momentary-on footswitch will work if you use the right terminals.

What's the project you're working on?
Rehousing a SD1 with a huge clipping section. Iv done this before but I had it wired truebypass. I like the stock switching better. Thanks.

CynicalMan

Here's the boss switch:
www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=36

paulyy

Quote from: CynicalMan on May 16, 2010, 03:54:46 PM
Here's the boss switch:
www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=36
Thanks but that's not what I'm looking for. I just need something that does the same thing. Here's a pic of a SD1 I that I rehoused.

I want to do what I did here but I don't want to make it true bypass but I would like to use the same type of switch or something similar. Can use a 9 pin switch and keep the switching stock?

DC9V

Quote from: paulyy on May 16, 2010, 04:49:45 PM
Can use a 9 pin switch and keep the switching stock?

No, at least not the latch type that is used for true bypass circuits. Those switch mechanically between 2 sets of contacts and stay that way until you press them again.
In the Boss design, the switch has only 2 poles; and it doesn't stay in the "on" position when you release it (it's a momentary switch). The actual switching on or off of the effect is done electronically every time your pressing on the switch closes a kind of commanding circuit.

Therefore if you use a latching switch for a Boss-type pedal, this commanding circuit will stay closed until you press the switch again. My guess is that every second time you press the switch nothing will happen. Not very practical.

That's why you need to use a momentary footswitch as in the original circuit. The most obvious choice is a SPST; the good news is they're much cheaper than 3PDTs :icon_wink:. Alternately you can use a momentary SPDT or DPDT if you have some lying around. Be sure not to use a momentary-off footswitch as those will not work.

One last thing: momentary switches don't click under the foot like latching ones.

I hope that makes sense. English is not my native language and sometimes I confuse even myself :icon_confused:

smallbearelec

Any momentary contact closure (normally open) will work. I am out of stock of the "soft-touch," SKU 0206A till 1st week July. That has becopme extremely popular for tap-tempo apps. If you prefer a solid "ker-chunk," SKU 0206 Carling 110-PM-OFF is good and we have stock. SKU 0207 will also work; just make sure you wire to the NO contact.

Regards
SD

paulyy

Thank you both for the help. I think I mite have one of those switches laying around some where. Its the DPDT. Now I just need to figure out how to wire it in. Shouldnt be to hard. I hope.

PS. DC9V, Your english is fine. Thanks.

DC9V

To wire the DPDT correctly you'll need a way to test continuity -- a DMM or a simple battery-resistor-LED circuit will do.
One of the wires goes on one of the center lugs of the switch. To find out on which side to connect the other, try continuity between lugs when you press the switch: the second wire goes on the lug that gets connected to the center lug when the switch is depressed.

trixdropd

I have a couple soft touch switches laying around. I'll sell them if someone needs them.

paulyy

Quote from: trixdropd on May 17, 2010, 08:29:07 AM
I have a couple soft touch switches laying around. I'll sell them if someone needs them.
Thanks for the offer but Im not ready yet. Still trying to figure out what else I want to do for this project. Ill keep it in mind though.