Matching LED's with a FLUKE

Started by Ned Flanger, May 16, 2010, 09:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ned Flanger

I searched the forums and found nothing specific.  I am trying to match LED's for a Nurse Quacky project.  My DMM can test diodes, but for some reason it does register LED's.  What am I doing wrong?  Is the voltage needed for the LED too high for the meter?  It can only test up to 1.0V.

deadastronaut

er..i dont know which dmm you have but im pretty sure it should read more than 1v...!!

anyhow i built the quacky a couple of weeks ago..i used any two 3mm red leds..

and it quacked ok...

the only problem (which i never got sorted)...was that it wouldnt quack on the b and e strings...
and apparently this is a common problem for the nurse quacky...

i gave up..it sounded really good..but the b and e  issue put me off boxing it..

it now lays in my circuit graveyard waiting to be revived..(properly)..

just thought i'd share that..rob.
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Ned Flanger

THanks for the info.  I'll check the user manual again. 

Now I am testing 5mm LEDs, is this a problem?

Ned Flanger

My mistake.  THe manual reads that it only measures diodes up to 2.0V.  Would the voltage drop method be the best way to match?

R.G.

Quote from: Ned Flanger on May 16, 2010, 10:00:45 PM
My mistake.  THe manual reads that it only measures diodes up to 2.0V.  Would the voltage drop method be the best way to match?
What you do is arrange a constant(ish) current, and then measure the voltage across them at that current.

One way is to use a resistor from, say, the ubiquitous 9V to the LED. You measure the voltage across the LED. Then you change LEDs, measure the new voltage and subtract, looking for a zero difference. That may be enough. Probably will be for the purposes of the circuit it's going in, which is not by any means a precision device.

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Ned Flanger

CynicalMan

I'm not sure how precise this is, but you can also set up a 9V source to a resistor to two LEDs in parallel and try to find two LED that are at the same brightness when they're in parallel.