PCB Drilling Questions

Started by Schappy, May 29, 2010, 11:55:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schappy

Dont have the money for a drill press and I need to know some cheaper methods for drilling pcb holes.

Im going to attempt to use my dremel tool by hand.

Ive started on my board by counterpunching the holes but this has caused some of the component traces to lift.

Im using a automatic counterpunch.

Is there something small that can be used to counterpunch?

Minion

I do all my drilling with a Dremmel and never had any problems .... go 4 it !!!
Go to bed with itchy Bum , wake up with stinky finger !!

Schappy

Do you do it handheld?

Also what do you use for counterpunching holes?

studiostud

I use a dremel and the dremel work station.  (http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-220-01-Rotary-Tool-Station/dp/B00068P48O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1275151618&sr=8-1)  It works like a charm.  With PCBs, you might even run into problems with regular drill presses because a lot of chucks can't grip the small bits that we need unless we get bits with a larger shank. (which you can from smallbear)  I got the little Jacobs chuck attachment for my dremel and it works perfectly.  I actually leave it on there most of the time because it makes it really easy to swap out other pieces.  For the bits, you can get the from smallbear, or if you have a Harbor Freight Tools in your area, they have a couple different sets of tiny bits.
Builds Completed: Big Muff. Fuzz Face. Tube Screamer. Rat. Crash Sync. Harmonic Jerkulator. 6-band EQ. Rebote 2.5. Tremulus Lune. Small Stone. Small Clone. Microamp. LPB-2. Green Ringer. Red Ranger. Orange Squeezer. SansAmp. MXR Headphone Amp. Bass Fuzz.

Schappy

Ive heard there can be accuracy problems with the dremel drill press.

You havent had any problems?

Minion

I do it by hand with a dremmel and don"t do any counter punching and don"t have any problems with accuracy , I just go really slow .....
Go to bed with itchy Bum , wake up with stinky finger !!

Eric H

Quote from: studiostud on May 29, 2010, 12:50:55 PM
With PCBs, you might even run into problems with regular drill presses because a lot of chucks can't grip the small bits that we need unless we get bits with a larger shank. (which you can from smallbear) 
There are numerous small-bit adapters that will fit drill-presses and hand drills.
http://www.bestmodelsandglue.com/Dremel-type-Adaptor-Chuck-Mini-0/M/B0000DD2N3.htm
Big-box home-improvement stores carry 1/4" hex chucks for the small cordless drivers --most of these will hold a #70 bit.
It helps if your drill press has good bearings, and minimal runout, but these will work.
Note that these bits are designed to be run at very high speeds, so a standard drill-press is a compromise, but better for me than
the Dremel-press, which is ,IMHO, a sloppy piece of work.
Ideally I would build an adapter to mount a Dremel motor directly to the arbor on my drill-press, but I never seem to find the time for that project  :icon_wink:

Anyone that can had-hold a dremel with #70 carbide bits has the hands of a surgeon ;-)

-Eric
" I've had it with cheap cables..."
--DougH

Archer18

Schappy

Looks like Im going to go with the Dremel drill station for now.

However I saw that Sears sells a similar item.

I wonder if its built any better than the Dremel?

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00953169000P?vName=Tools&cName=PowerToolAccessories&sName=Rotary%20Tool&psid=FROOGLE01&sid=IDx20070921x00003a

Ibanezfoo

If you want to go really cheap Radio Shack has a small pen like device that comes with small drill bits just the right size for PCBs.  I think it was like 5 or 6 bucks.  Its all manual though.  I used mine a couple times and said F this, and got a small Harbor Freight drill press for like 30 bucks.

KazooMan

I use a drill press, but also like to have a bit in my Dremel to enlarge holes or clean out holes if I have desoldered and removed a part.

John Lyons mentioned these bits in another thread. 

http://drillcity.stores.yahoo.net/10pacresdril.html

Resharpened carbide bits with 1/8" shafts ten pack (in a nice plastic case) for only $8.35.  I ordered some and they are great.  The shaft is the right size for the Dremel chuck and makes it much easier to put in the drill press chuck..  Number 68 seems to be the size of choice. 

R.G.

The next generation has discovered PCB making.  :icon_biggrin: Welcome.

HSS (high speed steel) drill bits last about 100 holes in glass-epoxy board stock. The glass fibers are somewhat harder than the cutting edges and very abrasive.
Carbide bits last thousands, maybe tens of thousands of holes. I don't know their exact life because I break them long before they get dull.

And that's using a very high accuracy jeweler's drill press. Carbide is very unforgiving of any wobble or bending. There's a $5 to $10 penalty for sneezing or looking away. And they don't last long at all in a hand-held dremel. Maybe your hands are a lot steadier than mine. In the drill press I get 1000 holes or so per bit.

As Eric said: "Anyone that can had-hold a dremel with #70 carbide bits has the hands of a surgeon". I'd add to that a working deal with the devil.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Schappy

You guys that are using the dremel press are you using the newer model?

Ive heard they are not very accurate.

Ive also heard of some people attaching a rubberband to the press level and then to the dremel itself to correct things?

Anybody heard of this?

Im not sure if I should get a cheap drill press or the dremel press.

mikemaddux

http://www.harborfreight.com/80-piece-rotary-tool-kit-97626.html

10 Bucks.  Works like a charm.  By hand.

I never break bits with this one....

This is the one to get if you got some time on your hands....and you wil never ever break a bit unless you are possibly drunk or a bohemoth...

http://www.clotilde.com/detail.html?source=froogle&prod_id=1706
Completed Builds: A lot...

studiostud

Quote from: Schappy on May 29, 2010, 12:59:46 PM
Ive heard there can be accuracy problems with the dremel drill press.

You havent had any problems?

I personally haven't had any problems with the exception of when I'm using HSS bits from Harbor Freight.  But then again, after what RG said, it might have just been time for them to go because I was doing a lot of boards at the time.  As far as accuracy specifically, I haven't noticed it being any less accurate than a regular drill press.  For me, the accuracy is all about the angle of my eyes to the hole I'm drilling.  I just like it a lot more than a drill press because A) it's small and light which makes it not only portable, but easy to move to whatever work space I'm currently at, and B) it's low profile so I can get in close, put my elbow on the table and lightly use my fingers to push down the handle.  After a couple hours at a drill press, my arms would get tired but I don't have that problem with the dremel press.

Quote from: Schappy on May 29, 2010, 04:44:08 PM
Looks like Im going to go with the Dremel drill station for now.

However I saw that Sears sells a similar item.

I wonder if its built any better than the Dremel?
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00953169000P?vName=Tools&cName=PowerToolAccessories&sName=Rotary%20Tool&psid=FROOGLE01&sid=IDx20070921x00003a

It looks identical to me.  However, in my personal experience, actual "Sears" branded tools have been a bit sub-par to other brands including their Craftsman line.  My rule is almost always to pay the little extra and get the real deal.  I very rarely regret the decision in the long run.
Builds Completed: Big Muff. Fuzz Face. Tube Screamer. Rat. Crash Sync. Harmonic Jerkulator. 6-band EQ. Rebote 2.5. Tremulus Lune. Small Stone. Small Clone. Microamp. LPB-2. Green Ringer. Red Ranger. Orange Squeezer. SansAmp. MXR Headphone Amp. Bass Fuzz.

diydave

My drillpress,

I use 2 little wooden boards which are connected with a rod and 2 nuts. I clamp the PCB in between the 2 planks by turning the nuts. I scratched a kind of groove on the upper side of the 2 planks to hold the PCB. This way I can let the board rest on the table.

With my dremel I just drill the holes. The only trick is to guide the dremel gently on the holes you want to drill. I set my dremel on the hole, I switch on the dremel and gently let the drill do it's work.

Works really well, and I didn't brake any bits for a long time.

philbinator1

I recently got a Dremel workstation, I use my dyna-link brand dremel in it and it fits perfect and works really well.  I use .8mm or 1mm bits for the holes, seems good so far.  I tightend up the screws on the workstation a little to make it more accurate, and that worked well.   Sweeet!  :)
"Hows are we's?  We's in the f*cking middle of a dinners meal!  Dats hows we am!" - Skwisgaar Skwigelf