Boss ds-1 replacement op amp

Started by TimWaldvogel, June 08, 2010, 02:28:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimWaldvogel

i know. i use like 10 or more per project it seems
YOU KNOW WHAT THEY SAY ABOUT LARGE PEDALBOARDS....

.... I BET YOU WISH YOUR PEDALBOARD WAS AS LARGE AS MINE

Paul Marossy

Quote from: TimWaldvogel on June 11, 2010, 03:30:58 PM
i know. i use like 10 or more per project it seems

Yeah, I know what you are saying. I've never tried designing something with an SIL chip before, but it does seem like that would be easier to design a single sided PCB around.

flintstoned

Just a follow up: tried both the 4560 and 5218 in the ds1, both sound pretty good. I'd say the 4560 is a more accurate ds1 sound. The 5218 definitely has more gain, it is the metal zone chip so no surprise there, but doesn't sound as smooth when backing off the gain. I'm sure a little modding could turn that into a beast of a pedal though. Now just gotta decide which one to commit to.
I forgot what I was gonna say here.

zombiwoof

Quote from: flintstoned on June 18, 2010, 05:54:27 AM
Just a follow up: tried both the 4560 and 5218 in the ds1, both sound pretty good. I'd say the 4560 is a more accurate ds1 sound. The 5218 definitely has more gain, it is the metal zone chip so no surprise there, but doesn't sound as smooth when backing off the gain. I'm sure a little modding could turn that into a beast of a pedal though. Now just gotta decide which one to commit to.

Thanks for that info!  I have an extra DS-1 that I am planning on modding, and was considering those two chips.  I might just buy both like you did and socket them.  The 5218 might be good for a "different-sounding" DS-1, so I might go with it if I like it.

So much for all IC's sounding the same, right?

Al

flintstoned

I think what R.G. was refering to was that all 741's are basically designed to have the same gain. All the 4558's the same gain, all 1458's are the same etc. Not that all chips are the same. You know that whole tubescreamer battle about which is the best chip, sounds like he's sick of hearing that argument!
I forgot what I was gonna say here.