lpb-1 or mxr micro amp

Started by blooze_man, June 18, 2010, 01:17:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blooze_man

Which in your opinion is better and why?
Big Muff, Trotsky Drive, Little Angel, Valvecaster, Whisker Biscuit, Smash Drive, Green Ringer, Fuzz Face, Rangemaster, LPB1, Bazz Fuss/Buzz Box, Radioshack Fuzz, Blue Box, Fuzzrite, Tonepad Wah, EH Pulsar, NPN Tonebender, Torn's Peaker...

rousejeremy

Depends on what you're playing. The LPB has a bit of a hi cut to it which kinda sounds cool if you're using single coils that are kinda bright to begin with.
The MXR has a bit of a presence boost to it. I mean a bit. If you were to keep the gain turned all the way down and clicked the pedal on you could hear it. It's subtle.
I prefer to have both.
Consistency is a worthy adversary

www.jeremyrouse.weebly.com

FlyingZ

My micro amp makes almost an exact copy which is quite boring pre or in the loop. It's factory and differs from the Internet schematics so if your building I have no comment. I suggest lpb-1

petemoore

I built a few 'preamp~LPB-1' stages.
  I used noncopper perfboard, no socket.
  Wired up and fired up first time [like they always seem to].
  This is on 20V supply, higher input impedance, then I diddled with the emitter resistors to adjust the stage gains [parallel/piggypacking there].
  Although the second gain stage was swapped for a Jfet in this case, a bit less gain there [still enough, that's the idea]..."Preamp" or very reasonable facsimile.
  Either way was just fine, I wanted to try the Jfet there, with a small-ish Rs bypass capacitor for 'high end sheen', in this case, tuned for DIY accoustic guitar pickup source. Hafta say the LPB is easiest excellent boost stage.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

zombiwoof

Quote from: rousejeremy on June 18, 2010, 01:47:30 AM
Depends on what you're playing. The LPB has a bit of a hi cut to it which kinda sounds cool if you're using single coils that are kinda bright to begin with.
The MXR has a bit of a presence boost to it. I mean a bit. If you were to keep the gain turned all the way down and clicked the pedal on you could hear it. It's subtle.
I prefer to have both.

I think the presence boost that you hear is just the effect of the buffering, it brings back the highs that are lost through cable capacitance and the like.  I used one for years, the only downside is that it isn't true bypass.  If you have it on all the time that doesn't matter, though.

Al