On-Off-On switch

Started by MmmPedals, June 22, 2010, 11:58:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MmmPedals

Would there be any way to wire a DP on-off-on for 3 different values of resistors or capacitors IN ORDER. In other words to have one extreme of the switch to be the lowest or highest value and the middle (off) position to be the middle value etc.

darron

i do this with my booster to switch the input cap from small/medium/large.

basically the smallest value cap is always connected in series, so in the middle switching (OFF) that is all that you have. then to add more capacitance both throws (ON/ON) connect a different capacitor which adds to the first, so you can select 3 values all together.

if you wanted to do this with resistors then you could do the same thing: have the biggest value always connected so that you get that in OFF mode, then in ON/ON connect another resistor in parallel to give smaller values. 3 options.
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

PRR

> IN ORDER

I'll go on a limb and say there is no -general- solution with a ON-OFF-ON to have values IN ORDER.

There are several specific solutions, especially for Voltage Divider rather than a single component.

I'd love to be proven wrong.
  • SUPPORTER

stm

Quote from: PRR on June 23, 2010, 03:19:09 PM
I'd love to be proven wrong.
Me too.

I'm afraid having values in order is the price to pay for simplicity/lower cost/availability associated to the 3-position ON-OFF-ON switch.

WangoFett

It is perhaps possible with substantial added expense and hassle using the state of the switch as a digital value to drive some electronic switches like on a 4066 to switch components in/out.

Perhaps instead you can use the marketing method.  Obfuscate the actual 'flaw' from the user by using clever names for the settings of the switch.

Does the future pedal owner suffer from OCD?

Hides-His-Eyes

A part of me thinks it must be possible with a 3PDT, but i'm not 100% sure how I'd go about it.

panterafanatic

You could always use a Sp3t, but you're looking at 6 to 8 bucks per switch.
-Jared

N.S.B.A. ~ Coming soon