Preamp running straight into a mixer

Started by svstee, June 23, 2010, 07:08:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

svstee

I need a cheap guitar preamplifier for a live band setting that is capable of both a decent clean and overdrive sound, with tone and gain controls. I was thinking about using two circuits and switching between them, while using another switch for a master true bypass. Thinking about a TS808 type for the gain channel, how would that work as a standalone preamp running straight into a mixer? Not sure about the clean channel circuit. I want something that can go from very warm and bass heavy to very bright, trebly and cutting. I was thinking maybe a EH Screaming Bird or ROG Fetzer Valve with a BMP tonestack. Any other ideas? I also need one for bass, just clean, with a volume/gain control and a basic tonestack. Economy and ease of use are the big factors here. No parametric EQ's. A one knob tonestack would be ideal for both of the aforementioned projects.

GibsonGM

A TS-808 (or 2...) could do it.  For the dirty, I like a Marshall Guv'nor.
Both will sound like crap going direct to a mixer, though.  Maybe if you use a cabinet simulator on the way to the mixer, it could sound better, but IMO, it won't.  You need the amp to kick the speakers to get "that sound"! 
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...