18v power problem

Started by scott1568, July 08, 2010, 08:19:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scott1568

I just got an 18v wall supply today. The case says Output: 18VAC  500Ma.

I have 3 pedals that each should handle this:
GGG Marshall Bluesbreaker, GGG BSIAB, and BYOC 5 knob compressor. The problem is, this power supply is giving a distinct buzzing noise through the pedal, either on the pedal board, or if the effect is taken off the board and used alone.

I can't understand this problem. Could I have a bad unit? Each pedal works fina at normal voltage BTW.

thanks

.Mike

Quote from: scott1568 on July 08, 2010, 08:19:33 PMThe case says Output: 18VAC  500Ma.

Are you sure it says AC because, ...ermm... you want DC. ;)

Mike
If you're not doing it for yourself, it's not DIY. ;)

My effects site: Just one more build... | My website: America's Debate.

R.G.

One of the quickest ways to kill a pedal is to hook up an AC power adapter to it. Even with a reverse protection diode, this often first kills the protection diode, then the rest of the circuit.

Alternating Current (AC) and Direct Current (DC) are different. Don't confuse them. Burning parts and PCB smell really, really bad.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

scott1568

Well DANG!!!  :icon_eek:

I am lucky. I really don't want to rebuild those pedals. Thanks guys. I feel relieved and yet   somehow  a little bit stupid.

Mike- are you in Savannah??? Are you the "other" pedal builder everyone asks me about? Feel free to PM.

.Mike

Quote from: scott1568 on July 08, 2010, 11:55:51 PMMike- are you in Savannah??? Are you the "other" pedal builder everyone asks me about? Feel free to PM.
In Savannah, yes. Other pedal builder, probably not-- I do this for fun, and have only built pedals for myself. PM'd. :)

Mike
If you're not doing it for yourself, it's not DIY. ;)

My effects site: Just one more build... | My website: America's Debate.

stringsthings

Quote from: R.G. on July 08, 2010, 11:45:53 PM
... Burning parts and PCB smell really, really bad ....

i often serve burnt PCB on toast to the local wildlife .... after i scrape off the flux, they get some "iron" in their diet !  ;D