Pedal enclosures

Started by Bad Chizzle, July 10, 2010, 03:00:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Chizzle

Hello, everyone

I could really use some direction on where I can find the best prices on enclosures! Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chuk
I dig hot Asian chicks!

jkokura

Best prices depend on what you're looking for...

Smallbear and Pedal Parts Plus are the two places I usually get enclosures from. But that's because I get the Hammond or New Sensor boxes. If you want cheap, you can sometimes find stuff in your kitchen to use. A tuna can is much cheaper...

For what it's worth, I've had very, very good experience with getting Powder Coated 125B, 1590BB, 1790NS, and 1590DD boxes from Pedal Parts Plus. That's the source I usually go to (prob 90% of my enclosures).

jacob

Bad Chizzle

Thanks, Jacob

I wish I could sell pedals built in tuna cans, but I don't think it will catch on. I'll try the other ideas though. You should see some of the things I've used for my own stuff in the past. I'm thinking of an ovaltine amp build one of these days.
I dig hot Asian chicks!

tiges_ tendres

Quote from: Bad Chizzle on July 10, 2010, 03:19:02 AM
Thanks, Jacob

I wish I could sell pedals built in tuna cans, but I don't think it will catch on. I'll try the other ideas though. You should see some of the things I've used for my own stuff in the past. I'm thinking of an ovaltine amp build one of these days.
:icon_rolleyes:
Try a little tenderness.

trjones1

I was actually just looking on ebay for good bulk pricing on enclosures and found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1590BB-aluminum-enclosures-diy-pedal-effects-qty-100-/330442145470?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item4cefe2febe

You can't beat $2.58 a piece for 1590BBs, although they are unknown manufacturer/quality.  Of course you have to buy a 100 of them.

I personally hate the NSC boxes like the ones sold in 1590BB size at pedalpartsplus.  I don't think they are good enough quality to put effects in that you're going to sell, especially if you expect the user to unscrew the bottom plate to change batteries.  I'm also kind of annoyed at pedalpartsplus because, after asking them who manufactured their 1590BB size boxes, and specifically saying I didn't want NSC boxes, they just said they'd never had any complaints - and then sent me an NSC box.

I like PPP for everything else though.  I just wish they'd carry the Hammond 1590BBs like the rest of their boxes.

tiges_ tendres

Those are good boxes.  Brand is most likely 4Site.

The screws and threads are much better and sturdier than the typical NSC.
Try a little tenderness.

trjones1

That's good to hear.  It was such a good deal I just bought them for myself.  There's still one lot left, though.

Bad Chizzle

I dig hot Asian chicks!

jimmybjj

Quote from: tiges_ tendres on July 10, 2010, 05:17:21 PM

I don't think they are 4site boxes. I asked the seller and he said they are unmarked boxes and said they don't have brand. I ordered some ofthe 4site  boxes a couple of months ago and they were all stamp on the inside with "4site"

have you actually bought any of these boxes? I would love to hear if anybody has an experience with these. They are a great deal but I don't want to drop $250 of crap boxes.

tiges_ tendres

Quote from: jimmybjj on July 12, 2010, 01:50:38 PM
Quote from: tiges_ tendres on July 10, 2010, 05:17:21 PM

I don't think they are 4site boxes. I asked the seller and he said they are unmarked boxes and said they don't have brand. I ordered some ofthe 4site  boxes a couple of months ago and they were all stamp on the inside with "4site"

have you actually bought any of these boxes? I would love to hear if anybody has an experience with these. They are a great deal but I don't want to drop $250 of crap boxes.

Well I have bought boxes from 4 site who also happen to be from the same town as this guy.  Highly unlikely that they are two different people.

I know it's not uncommon for people to order samples from Asian manufacturers to ensure quality before placing huge orders.  Perhaps these boxes were ordered as samples before the tooling was ordered for the 4site brand.

Try a little tenderness.

trjones1

I'll post on here once I receive the boxes.  As long as the screws are decent quality and the box has decent threads I'll be happy.

Just judging by what little you can see in the photos, the metal at least seems to be higher quality than the "particle board" metal of NSC boxes (which, as you can tell, is my base line for crappy boxes).

Bad Chizzle

Yeah,

I'm just making an effort to find the best prices on stuff that's worth using. I'm trying to get going here for fun and to make a little money selling some of the things I build. I don't want to have to charge a bunch of money to a friend who'd like a pedal of some kind.

You guys have been very helpful. Any tips you may have on getting the best prices for any components will be greatly appreciated! 
I dig hot Asian chicks!

tiges_ tendres

Quote from: Bad Chizzle on July 12, 2010, 03:34:38 PM
Yeah,

I'm just making an effort to find the best prices on stuff that's worth using. I'm trying to get going here for fun and to make a little money selling some of the things I build. I don't want to have to charge a bunch of money to a friend who'd like a pedal of some kind.

You guys have been very helpful. Any tips you may have on getting the best prices for any components will be greatly appreciated! 

And another flower blooms!
Try a little tenderness.

Bad Chizzle

Well, let's just say I'm trying to bloom, Steven. Is it a bad thing to you?
I dig hot Asian chicks!

jimmybjj

Quote from: tiges_ tendres on July 12, 2010, 02:23:02 PM

Well I have bought boxes from 4 site who also happen to be from the same town as this guy.  Highly unlikely that they are two different people.

I know it's not uncommon for people to order samples from Asian manufacturers to ensure quality before placing huge orders.  Perhaps these boxes were ordered as samples before the tooling was ordered for the 4site brand.

I don't disagree with you, what you suggest is probable. It could be just as likely that these are the rejects from the asian samples, an idea supported by the different eBay user id. I don't really know and i hope your right because I intend on ordering some 125b's, just thinking out loud(so to speak)

Quote from: trjones1 on July 12, 2010, 02:35:01 PM
I'll post on here once I receive the boxes.  As long as the screws are decent quality and the box has decent threads I'll be happy.

Just judging by what little you can see in the photos, the metal at least seems to be higher quality than the "particle board" metal of NSC boxes (which, as you can tell, is my base line for crappy boxes).

Awesome, looking forward to your review. Like you all i really care about are the screws and threads of the box.

tiges_ tendres

Quote from: Bad Chizzle on July 12, 2010, 03:58:48 PM
Well, let's just say I'm trying to bloom, Steven. Is it a bad thing to you?

No.  I wish you all the best in your pedal endeavors!
Try a little tenderness.

trjones1

Well, in case anyone still cares, I received the 100 boxes today, and they look to be pretty nice.  As Tiges predicted, they seem to be 4site boxes (the only marking inside is a "4S").  I'd say they're comparable to Hammond boxes for all intents and purposes.  The lots are all gone, but keep on the lookout for that seller. 

Now I just have to figure out what to do with all these things.

Bad Chizzle

I'm glad they're good! Wish I had a 100 enclosures to work with. I'm gonna save up n order a buttload one of these days! At least then I won't have to think about that aspect of things for a while.

Thanks for the info!

Chuk
I dig hot Asian chicks!

tiges_ tendres

Quote from: trjones1 on July 20, 2010, 05:26:05 PM
Well, in case anyone still cares, I received the 100 boxes today, and they look to be pretty nice.  As Tiges predicted, they seem to be 4site boxes (the only marking inside is a "4S").  I'd say they're comparable to Hammond boxes for all intents and purposes.  The lots are all gone, but keep on the lookout for that seller. 

Now I just have to figure out what to do with all these things.

The screws and threads on the 4site boxes are leaps and bounds over the NSC boxes.  I just bought a Freeze pedal from Electro Harmonix and the screws are dreadful, and skinny.  They look like they would strip if you looked at them.
Try a little tenderness.

trixdropd

See, I prefer the nsc boxes. The 4 site boxes ppp had for a bit were poorly casted. One was ejected so hard off the die that i had bumps on the face of the pedal!! The nsc boxes iIve never had an issue with.