News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

12ax7

Started by pazuzu, July 23, 2010, 10:48:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pazuzu

so i have some spare 12ax7's. anyone have any suggestions to a project with layouts i could do with them? i only have one tube socket on hand so preferably a project that only utilizes one. i wanted to make a valvecaster but from what i read this tube wouldn't work.

petemoore

12au7 is a lower gain, that fits where the 12a_7 tube was.
 See data sheets for all the 12a_7 tubes.
 It's all about power supplies and layout, grounding.
 the triodes are otherwise about the same 'get working as wiring as Jfets circuits, higher voltage may mean bigger voltage/wattage ratings on components, it's also dangerous, involves 120vac or 220vac line work at least.
 A 36vdc printer wallwart output is a fun/easy safe place to start with the B+ line, a WW of sufficient current output and a regulator [or other supply method] for the heater.
 12ax7's 'work' but dont provide much gain or become 'lively' with starved plate voltages.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

igerup

True, they need a B+ of at least  150 volts. Preferably 200-250, though you can try 300 too if you feel braver than usual.  :icon_wink:

anchovie

A single 12AX7 with a low-voltage power supply will need a little solid-state help, like with Aron's much-praised Shaka Tube.
Bringing you yesterday's technology tomorrow.

pazuzu

Quote from: anchovie on July 24, 2010, 02:33:03 AM
Aron's much-praised Shaka Tube.

layout? i am sorry, but the layout section is rather confusing for me to navigate. not that i don't understand what i am looking at. i just can't find my way around it.

frequencycentral

http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

KazooMan

Layout and loads of additional information at diyguitarist.com.  Search Shaka Tube

pazuzu

thanks a lot! that actually looks pretty easy.