Printing Services

Started by Kearns892, July 24, 2010, 11:00:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kearns892

I've been wanting to try etching PCBs and enclosures for a while now, but I don't really have access to a toner printer. I know they are not that expensive, but as a student, buying one and having a place to store it is a bit of a problem. So I was wondering if anyone knows if any companies that offer printing services (Office Depot, Office Max, etc.) have a printing option that suffice for making a toner transfer sheet. I looked online at several sites, but there is not enough detail to give me any definitive answers.

R.G.

Copiers are also toner printers. They just work from a scanned image, not bits.

If you have access to a copier  you can use it to make toner transfers.

Copiers sometimes have distortion. A 1" line may come out 0.95" or it may be 1.07". Generally the distortion is under 5%. This may not be a problem at all for small boards, but it can build up over longer distances. So do a reference copy. Print and copy something which you have measured very accurately. A square outline about 4" on a side is good. Measure what your printer actually prints, because there are small inaccuracies in printers, too. Then copy it. Measure the copy in both X and Y dimensions.

When you know the X and Y inaccuracy in the copier you will use, print your layout with a compensating "error" so the copier's error will cancel the printed error. You can get very close to perfect this way.

Often, the error is so small you can ignore it, but check first.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Kearns892

Thanks for the input R.G., but I do not have access to a copier (well not one that I could change the stock copy paper in to something more useful for making a transfer as the copier isn't mine).  I know most office supply stores have copy services, and I was hoping I could enlist the use of one of their copiers if they offer copies/ toner prints on transfer ready paper already.

Kearns892

Just a friendly bump  :) could really use some more advice here.