polarized 1uf caps on a tube screamer(orientation??)

Started by ocg, August 03, 2010, 10:52:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ocg

ok so im goin to put POLARISED 1uf CAPS instead of the non polarised ones and i dont know how to oriented them  ???

should be this way?:
the second one after the IC is oriented that way on the sd1 schematic, but what about the first one???? ??? ??? ???

...mojo is in your hands....

brett

Hi
the second cap has almost no polarisation.  A 1 uF polar cap in any orientation often works in this situation, but not perfectly.
The first cap seems to run from more negative on the left to more positive on  the right (approximately Vb-0.7V on the left and Vb on the right).

Given the low cost of the caps, it seems a bit strange to go polar. Can you busk and earn that extra $1 ???
cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

ocg

Quote from: brett on August 04, 2010, 12:05:12 AM
Hi
the second cap has almost no polarisation.  A 1 uF polar cap in any orientation often works in this situation, but not perfectly.
The first cap seems to run from more negative on the left to more positive on  the right (approximately Vb-0.7V on the left and Vb on the right).

Given the low cost of the caps, it seems a bit strange to go polar. Can you busk and earn that extra $1 ???
cheers

thanks for the reply

the thing about going polar it's just because of time, i want to finish this today with the materials i all ready have. :icon_mrgreen:

WLTerry

Omar

Signal flows from - to +, so your scheme is OK. I did it like this in my own Screamer.
You're building another screamer?

petemoore

Doesn't look to me like the schematic shows polarity.
  A non-polarized cap will work there.
  2 polarized caps can be assigned so there is a +/_ at either end [ paralleled ] or + at both ends [series, -'s in the middle] and = 1 nonpolar capacitor.
  2x value [parallel].
  1/2value if seriesed...correct me if I'm wrong on the value of the 2 equal value seriesed capacitors. I vaguely remember some related equation, whatever...it'll be a smaller value and will be nonpolar.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Gus

Two ways you can figure it out

1st  Look at the EF input buffer note the bias is not offset from 1/2 power supply voltage.  The emitter will be lower than 1/2 the power supply voltage.  The input to the opamp should be close to 1/2 the power supply VDC.  So - to emitter

Out of the opamp should be almost the same at both ends of the cap so it does not matter

2nd Take you DMM set to VDC and place the probes at the cap solder pads.  What if any side is more +  than the other?

ocg

Quote from: WLTerry on August 05, 2010, 03:48:41 PM
Omar

Signal flows from - to +, so your scheme is OK. I did it like this in my own Screamer.
You're building another screamer?

yeah, i building one for a friend's studio.
mmmm hey but look what gus said, i measured the voltage on emitter and in the input of the opamp... the emiter reads(more or less) 3v and the input 5v

ocg

Quote from: Gus on August 05, 2010, 06:32:45 PM
Two ways you can figure it out

1st  Look at the EF input buffer note the bias is not offset from 1/2 power supply voltage.  The emitter will be lower than 1/2 the power supply voltage.  The input to the opamp should be close to 1/2 the power supply VDC.  So - to emitter

Out of the opamp should be almost the same at both ends of the cap so it does not matter

2nd Take you DMM set to VDC and place the probes at the cap solder pads.  What if any side is more +  than the other?

you are right gus i measured the points between the caps .
ok so by far it will be like this?:

valdiorn

that 10k resistor to Vb is rather small, you will definitely get away with replacing it with a 100k and use a 100n poly cap instead, if you find that easier.