VICTORY!!! well, at least so far my Zendrive works!

Started by jamiefbolton, August 13, 2010, 01:34:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamiefbolton

Hey guys! I'm really excited right now! I just finished the Zendrive and everything works! All that's left is to mount into the enclosure and wire it up. What makes me excited is that I made my own layout with pots mounted to the perf. Now this make the build a bit bigger in BB size box, but hey not too bad for a guy like me. I'll post pics when I get the build completed.

BTW, I used NOS Germanium diodes from smallbear and a 4558D chip right now. I've got some more I'll try tonight or tomorrow!

jamiefbolton

Here are the pics of my completed build. I'm still learning this stuff, so my build isn't the neatest. I didn't use heat shrink. Probably should have. Anyway, I hope you like it. Please feel free to leave constructive comments. Please don't be harsh for my beginner build  :icon_biggrin:

stringsthings

Quote from: jamiefbolton on August 14, 2010, 10:42:37 PM
... I'm still learning this stuff, so my build isn't the neatest. I didn't use heat shrink. Probably should have. Anyway, I hope you like it. Please feel free to leave constructive comments. Please don't be harsh for my beginner build  :icon_biggrin:

nice job.  your choice of IC socket will let you experiment should you choose to do so.  ( the less expensive ones can be a bit fiddly ) ... heat shrink is not absolutely necessary as long as you're not getting any shorts ...  ( you may want to insulate the 1k resistor lead on the right hand side of the 2nd pic going to the power jack ... when you plug your lead in, it may cause a short )

Kearns892

Nice job, especially laying it out to have the pots mounted. My only advice is next time I would try to route most of the component leads on the underside of the board. Still good work!

jamiefbolton

Yeah in hindsight, i could have done a bit better with having those leads under the board and having the DC jack on the same side as the board power. i don't like that red wire running across the box. the shielded input/output jack gets hard to deal with too.

but i already see things i can improve on, so hopefully my next build will be even better

Renegadrian

Quote from: jamiefbolton on August 15, 2010, 02:52:15 PM
but i already see things i can improve on, so hopefully my next build will be even better

That's what keeps us building...A kind of fever for improvement...
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

stringsthings

Quote from: jamiefbolton on August 15, 2010, 02:52:15 PM
Yeah in hindsight, i could have done a bit better with having those leads under the board and having the DC jack on the same side as the board power. i don't like that red wire running across the box. the shielded input/output jack gets hard to deal with too.

just as long as you're enjoying what you're doing ... getting a circuit to work is an accomplishment in itself ... don't get discouraged if/when you run into a problem ... the insights that trouble-shooting can give you are priceless ... again, congratulations on a successful build

( personally, i like to spend some money on myself after a successful build ... which accounts for my large collection of paperweights disguised as 'useful' items  :icon_mrgreen: )

jamiefbolton

lol....yeah that's a good idea! i think i'll buy....hmmmm.....oh yeah, my wife just got some running shoes.....