So I've been asked to lead a workshop after making one pedal ...

Started by Soulfinger, September 09, 2010, 11:23:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Soulfinger

After completing a single successful fuzz face build, I've been asked to lead a very informal workshop on pedal making at the art co-op where I live  ;D.  It'll be part of a month-long show with a series of noisy performances and other simple workshops.  It's laughable in a way (as I'm far from being an expert), but I think it's reasonable to believe that I can get 5 or 6 people through the process of breadboarding a fuzz face (using kits from Small Bear) in a couple of hours.  And you better believe I'm going to use my overhead projector!

I'd like to offer them a quick and dirty description of what is happening in the fuzz face, using simpler language than even R.G.'s excellent Technology of the Fuzz Face article (which helps my understanding a bit more each time I read it).  I have some background to draw upon (ohhhh the days of yore in my university physics electricity lab) and I've been plowing through some electronics books.  I'm not foolish enough to think that I'll be able to convey an adequate background in electronics in such a short time (especially considering that I don't have that background myself), but I'd like to get my own understanding to the point where I can describe a fuzz face in lay terms and answer basic questions.  

I think I'm basically to the point I'd like to be at, but I'd appreciate any suggestions of books/resources that do a great job explaining the interaction between the low amplitude AC signal of a guitar and a DC pedal circuit.  I'd like to strengthen my understanding of the concept of bias, maybe some examples of working with Ohm's law in a pedal circuit, understanding of things like why doubling the input and output cap values would allow more bass to get through, etc.

I have seen the book thread (it's in my Delicious.com bookmarks) and I will continue to refer to it.  I just figured folks might've come across additional resources in the past couple of years (online included), or perhaps new folks could chime in.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated (regarding resources or even practical suggestions about running the workshop).  I'm really just hoping to spark peoples' interest.  The better prepared that I am to answer questions and to explain things simply, the more likely people will actually follow up on their own.  I'm planning on making a packet of useful resources ... I've even thought of making a quick HTML page with useful links and burning it to a CD (though half of the links would just point here).  I'm a librarian by day, so I guess I'm cursed with wanting to distribute a million resources.  ;D

Thanks for any input you may have.

Derringer

that's awesome dude ... I don't have any real suggestions, but I do have a few entertaining ones

1. get a bust of RG Keen and always reference it
2. print out the "What to do when it doesn't work" thread and make it mandatory reading ... post it in large print on poster boards around the room and just point to it whenever someone has difficulty ... and then refer to the RG Bust
3. assign web-search homework for students relative to things on Dano's site

jkokura

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Brilliant. Well played sir, well played.

Jacob

Soulfinger

Quote from: Derringer on September 09, 2010, 02:49:29 PM
that's awesome dude ... I don't have any real suggestions, but I do have a few entertaining ones

1. get a bust of RG Keen and always reference it
2. print out the "What to do when it doesn't work" thread and make it mandatory reading ... post it in large print on poster boards around the room and just point to it whenever someone has difficulty ... and then refer to the RG Bust
3. assign web-search homework for students relative to things on Dano's site

;D ;D ;D :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted:

I do live in an artist co-op (though, ironically, as a "guest" ... my girlfriend is the "artist").  I should put one of those bastards to work on that bust immediately. 

I should also have an image of RG's face on all printouts and transparencies (while they're actually working I should have a large image of his face blown up with the overhead projector).

Are there any images available where he looks a bit more angry/Stalinesque than he does in this image?

jkokura

That's crazy, cause that's exactly how I pictured him in my head. This makes me soooo happy!

Jacob

Soulfinger

And with some quick photoshopping, I believe I have a suitable icon for all of my handouts:

Processaurus

You know, just a thought, for someone out of the blue, maybe leave the theory for the second workshop, and focus on the construction/how to read a schematic.  Interest in the theory will be stronger once they realize how easy it is to build from a schematic? Kind of like teaching guitar, first day it's cool to learn a little riff, rather than scales and theory.

MoltenVoltage

That's really cool.  I wish more community colleges offered classes like that.

If you want to keep it going, I'd make sure everyone leaves with a working effect.

MoltenVoltage.com for PedalSync audio control chips - make programmable and MIDI-controlled analog pedals!

Soulfinger

Quote from: Processaurus on September 09, 2010, 06:34:45 PM
You know, just a thought, for someone out of the blue, maybe leave the theory for the second workshop, and focus on the construction/how to read a schematic.  Interest in the theory will be stronger once they realize how easy it is to build from a schematic? Kind of like teaching guitar, first day it's cool to learn a little riff, rather than scales and theory.

Yeah, you're probably right.  I will have to discuss the various components to some degree as we're looking at the schematic.  That's really what I'd like people to take home ... the ability to find a simple schematic online and breadboard it.  So if I did discuss theory at all, it would really just be on the simplest level to describe why the components are where they are.  But I do see your point and, as I'm probably prone to drag on and on when talking about something, I'll make a special effort to keep things brief and simple.  I used to teach an audio production lab at a college radio station and I learned over time that the hands-on with little bits of theory here and there approach was the most effective for keeping people interested.  I'll definitely keep that in mind for this.  

Of course, this means I should probably leave the overhead projector behind.  :'(

;D

Soulfinger

Quote from: MoltenVoltage on September 09, 2010, 08:02:34 PM
That's really cool.  I wish more community colleges offered classes like that.

If you want to keep it going, I'd make sure everyone leaves with a working effect.

Thanks.  And, yeah, that's further support for Processaurus' point.  I should keep any discussion as brief as possible and focus on making sure everyone's effect works at the end.  I'll definitely have a guitar and amp on hand for testing, of course. 

I'd also like to offer a follow up session for working with enclosures (something I myself need much more experience with ... though my first build came out pretty solid).  I'm not sure if I'll be able to schedule it in during that month, but I'll work something out.

I'd actually love to attend a class like this myself.  I was asked to lead this one because I'm the only guy in our music scene (New London, CT) that's working on pedals at the moment.  But I'd love to take a class with someone who has years of experience.

smallbearelec

If you order 5 kits, e-mail me at the smallbearelec address. I will include with each one an NPN germanium device of suitable gain to plug in as Q2. I have tried this, and the result is...delicious! Sweet, soft clipping, excellent sustain, and the circuit is way more temp-stable than an all-germanium FF.

I would loooove to be able to do such workshops in the NY area, but I don't have as much time as I would like for that. Happy instruction!

Regards
SD

Soulfinger

Quote from: smallbearelec on September 09, 2010, 11:09:36 PM
If you order 5 kits, e-mail me at the smallbearelec address. I will include with each one an NPN germanium device of suitable gain to plug in as Q2. I have tried this, and the result is...delicious! Sweet, soft clipping, excellent sustain, and the circuit is way more temp-stable than an all-germanium FF.

I would loooove to be able to do such workshops in the NY area, but I don't have as much time as I would like for that. Happy instruction!

Regards
SD

Wow.  Thank you so much.  While you may not have the time to run workshops yourself, the time that you spend putting the kits together is really what has made it practical for me to do the workshop.  And it's incredibly affordable.  I'm only going to be charging for materials, so I think with a fuzz face kit and a simple breadboard for everyone (plus some wire, etc) it'll only be in the neighborhood of $30-$35 per person. 

So, trust me, what you do with your time is very much appreciated and has made our workshop possible.  Thanks!

leeyoungun

Quote from: smallbearelec on September 09, 2010, 11:09:36 PM

Regards
SD
I'd kill for a workshop in NY! Kill!  :icon_mrgreen: