Best Marshall in a Box Tone (or) Please compare the BSIAB2, Thor, and Rat

Started by bt2513, September 10, 2010, 12:04:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bt2513

Looking for a solid distortion box to be stacked with GGG 60's Fuzz Face and ZVex Fuzz Factory.  Also, how do these compare to a Vintage Rat (90's model)???  :icon_question:

Ripdivot

My favorite "marshall in a box" is the MI Audio Crunch Box. Nice mids and very tight for the chugachuga. For a more old school marshall sound i like the Dirty Little Secret.

bt2513

Quote from: Ripdivot on September 10, 2010, 12:14:18 AM
My favorite "marshall in a box" is the MI Audio Crunch Box. Nice mids and very tight for the chugachuga. For a more old school marshall sound i like the Dirty Little Secret.

I've heard clips of both and they sound great, I was just looking more for a DIY solution.  I've tried etching boards in the past with little luck so something I could veroboard together fairly easily or purchase a PCB for would be ideal.  I didn't check and see if there were Crunch Box or DLS schems available...  but any DIY options would be great!

lcv

Hi,
To me, nothing beats a shredmaster with the 2.2n caps  removed (feedback loop, third Opamp).
Or at least this was my choice.
I've challenged it  periodically (I always looki for improvement), but  still remains so so far.
Very personal though
Regards,
Lcv

mth5044

Quote from: bt2513 on September 10, 2010, 10:00:22 AM
Quote from: Ripdivot on September 10, 2010, 12:14:18 AM

I've heard clips of both and they sound great, I was just looking more for a DIY solution.  I've tried etching boards in the past with little luck so something I could veroboard together fairly easily or purchase a PCB for would be ideal.  I didn't check and see if there were Crunch Box or DLS schems available...  but any DIY options would be great!

Madbean has a DLS in his project place, boards for sale IIRC

Kearns892

The layouts gallery on this forum has a perf layout of the Crunch Box (search either Cap'n Crunch or just crunch or something). The layout is not that complex, you could try your hand at whipping up your own vero layout on DIYLC.

bt2513

Here are the options that have been mentioned:

-Crunch Box
-Thor
-BSIAB2
-Shredmaster

Of these, which would get me most of the way to a vintage Marshall?  Not looking for 80's tone... more JTM45 to Super Lead.  Want it to stack really nicely with a fuzz...

Mugshot

the Thor is a Super Lead emulator, been using one for months now!
i am what i am, so are you.

Ripdivot

Check out this video of the Dirty Little Secret. It does the old school marshall tone really nice. I have built the Thor as well but I like the DLS better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZYiO6dMaok

Davelectro

Quote from: bt2513 on September 13, 2010, 04:17:29 PM
Here are the options that have been mentioned:

-Crunch Box
-Thor
-BSIAB2
-Shredmaster

Of these, which would get me most of the way to a vintage Marshall?  Not looking for 80's tone... more JTM45 to Super Lead.  Want it to stack really nicely with a fuzz...

Why not this one?

http://www.catalinbread.com/DLS.html

Mugshot

of all the marshall-in-a-box pedals ive heard (on youtube, at least), it's the DLS that blows me away. seriously. for rawk tones, i'd go for DLS. but for good old overdrive tones, Thor it is.
i am what i am, so are you.