Anyone built the Tech21 XXL??

Started by Govmnt_Lacky, September 18, 2010, 09:03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govmnt_Lacky

Got a hold of a layout for the Tech21 XXL. Just wondering if anyone has built one. Any reviews?
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

edvard

I breadboarded one once.
It sounded pretty nice, but it inspired me to try other designs that used a "warp" control so it never made it into a box.
What that does is change the bias point on the op-amp so you can force some crazy assymetrical wave shapings.
Very subtle effect, but you can't get that tone any other way.

Hmm... Now that you mention it I think I'd like to build one myself...
All children left unattended will be given a mocha and a puppy

Bullet79

not as good as u think it would be... i have build both tech21 xxl and 'double-drive' it sounded pretty 'harsh' like the mid eq's on 10.. i use TLC2262CP for the ic's... and all parts/value are according to the schematic.. but it wont sing as it supposed to be..
anyway, its your call...

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Bullet79 on September 19, 2010, 12:07:42 PM
i use TLC2262CP for the ic's... and all parts/value are according to the schematic..

I wonder if there is something that IS NOT on any schematics. All of the pictures I have seen of the board for the XXL contain a large "black box" in the middle of the board that "hides" the components.
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

fuzzo

there's a schematic somewhere ? (I read a lot of good things about that pedal )

Bullet79

the big black box is just a foam to keep it from shorting against the enclosure, and the other small black box with chrome circle is the bypass switch... ;)

Earthscum

Give a man Fuzz, and he'll jam for a day... teach a man how to make a Fuzz and he'll never jam again!

http://www.facebook.com/Earthscum

edvard

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on September 19, 2010, 12:28:39 PM
Quote from: Bullet79 on September 19, 2010, 12:07:42 PM
i use TLC2262CP for the ic's... and all parts/value are according to the schematic..

I wonder if there is something that IS NOT on any schematics. All of the pictures I have seen of the board for the XXL contain a large "black box" in the middle of the board that "hides" the components.
I know what you're talking about...
I repaired one once, luckily it was just a busted pot.
After desoldering the board off the jacks (!@!#$%) I thought "Hey, maybe I could clone this thing" and was disappointed to find a big black glob of goo in the center of the board covering everything.
Like it was a very small surface mount job that they just dripped some melted plastic on.
Quote from: Earthscum on September 19, 2010, 06:57:53 PM
http://media.photobucket.com/image/tech21%20xxl/sonofspy777/XXLdistortion.gif

Looks pretty simple.
Yeah that schematic was the one I found and breadboarded.
Probably traced before T21 started "clone-proof"-ing their boards.
Amazing it doesn't have any clipping diodes, it's all op-amp distortion.
No wonder some people don't like it...
All children left unattended will be given a mocha and a puppy

nbabmf

If I ever built a clone, I would dial the gain way back.  It's a crunch monster even with the Drive knob turned all the way down.  Other than that, it's a cool circuit.  I love the Warp up all the way and Tone to suit the guitar/amp.