LPB2 distorting...12v supply the problem?

Started by sjaltenb, September 20, 2010, 10:51:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjaltenb

I have an LPB (the old layout) that i installed with my electric mistress to compensate for the volume drop issue. I am running it at 12V off the mistress's regulator.

It is working great, but I am getting some bite from it, just a tad bit of overdrive and I am wondering why? It is not coming from the mistress, I audio probed it. i would not think it is due to the extra 3 volts,  but maybe? Shouldn't it be a clean boost?

Thanks!

tiges_ tendres

Quote from: sjaltenb on September 20, 2010, 10:51:12 AM
I have an LPB (the old layout) that i installed with my electric mistress to compensate for the volume drop issue. I am running it at 12V off the mistress's regulator.

It is working great, but I am getting some bite from it, just a tad bit of overdrive and I am wondering why? It is not coming from the mistress, I audio probed it. i would not think it is due to the extra 3 volts,  but maybe? Shouldn't it be a clean boost?

Thanks!

LPB doesnt sound clean to me.  In fact it's my go to dirty booster!
Try a little tenderness.

sjaltenb

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm I thought it was supposed to be a clean boost?

Either way, would the voltage make any difference?

petemoore

Either way, would the voltage make any difference?
  Not as much as if it's biased or not.
  Perhaps keep the go to dirtbox, then add an LPB to get the desired amount of boost, I tore up dirtboxes just to get them fixed, but then they were just a booster or the fuzz schematic I was following...I got a working circuit but then wanted to try that tone that worked back and didn't.
  Running an LPB @12v [measured ?]...will spread the bias and signal swing room a little wider [more headroom] in a gain stage.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.