Chopped Oc-2 add-on

Started by El Heisenberg, September 22, 2010, 01:08:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Heisenberg

Actually, I just wanna build the plain Boss OC-2 with the addition of the mid boost and the upper octave. But I can't figure out how to use a 4013 in place of a BA634.

http://www.hobby-hour.com/electronics/s/oc2-octave.php
"Your meth is good, Jesse. As good as mine."

El Heisenberg

El Heisenberg

It's really just a 4013 question. I dunno what's going on. So I dunno how to se half of a 4013 in place of what I see IC6,.

El Heisenberg

http://www.freeinfosociety.com/electronics/schematics/audio/pictures/octaveeffect.gif

This sorta helps. I could find datasheets on the 4027. It's like a 4013 with 2 extra pins. I'll see how this works out.

El Heisenberg

argh but which input pins do I ground on the other side of the 4013??

anchovie

Quote from: El Heisenberg on September 22, 2010, 01:12:00 AM
I can't find a data sheet!

Seriously?!

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=4013+datasheet

Plenty of links on the first page, including the manufacturer's page at Fairchild!
Bringing you yesterday's technology tomorrow.

El Heisenberg

Not the datasheet for the 4013!! For the BA634!! IC6!

Im trying to figure out how to biuld the Boss OC-2 with another 4013 instead of the BA634

wordstep

check here http://www.bossarea.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4050
(In one of the pictures, you can see one version of OC-2 has two 4013 instead of one 4013 and one BA634. )

Based on the comments in the thread above, it seems the BA634 just some type of flip-flop and it is used to divide the input frequency by 2.

So you can use another 4013, or almost any flip-flop (like 4027)  that could do the divide by 2 job to replace the BA634.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can also confirm that from the schematic(BOSS), R60 controls the one octave below signal, R61 controls the two octave below signal.

Good luck.

El Heisenberg

I know that. I had already stumbled on that thread a few days ago. I just don't know how to do it though. I messed with it on the breadboard for a week before I asked here last night. I can't get the second 4013 to do anything. I did it pin for pin like the schem with the 4027 instead of the BA634. All I get is the 1st octave filtered a second time. Not pin for pin exactly of course. I grounded pin 7 and only put pins 5 and 6 and 14 to v+

wordstep

If you use another 4013, copy the IC7 (pin1 to pin6 part, same setting, pin3 ---in, pin 5 connect to pin2, this is out, pin4 & pin6 --ground), put them in the BA634, you are fine already.

wordstep

4027   j-k flip flop   divide by 2 here you go.
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_4/chpt_11/1.html

based on datasheet of 4027 and above, I will say
DIVIDE BY 2
J=K= HIGH   S=R=LOW     CL=INPUT   Q =OUTPUT

El Heisenberg

I noticed when I tried using the 4013 in place of the 4027 that the 4027s datasheet had J and K inputs. The 4013 doesn't have those. Must be why it doesn't work the same way. The BA634 is sposed to be a T type single flip-flop.

El Heisenberg

Quote from: wordstep on September 22, 2010, 11:29:08 AM
4027   j-k flip flop   divide by 2 here you go.
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_4/chpt_11/1.html

based on datasheet of 4027 and above, I will say
DIVIDE BY 2
J=K= HIGH   S=R=LOW     CL=INPUT   Q =OUTPUT

I don't have the 4027 I only have the 4013. I can only get NTE replacements or stuff from radioshack. All I have to do this is an NTE4013B.

wordstep

to El Heisenberg

Can you give me a e-mail address or an acount for photo posting?
I draw a picture, but can not figure out a way to post it here right now.

What I want to show is same as "4013, copy the IC7 (pin1 to pin6 part, same setting, pin3 ---in, pin 5 connect to pin2, this is out, pin4 & pin6 --ground), put them in the BA634, you are fine already."

I meant use half part of the 4013 to replace the position of BA634 in the schematic.    
the 4013  -----------  pin4=pin6= gnd         pin3 = in

(Reference http://www.doctronics.co.uk/4013.htm     you can use pin1 as out , but in OC-2 you should use pin2 connected to pin5 = out )

On a second thought, I recommand try    pin1 as out   or  pin2 connected to pin5 = out,   to match the first octave down, or give you some special sound.

El Heisenberg

Sorry wordstep, it's just that I've been having trouble understanding your symbols or wutever. What I've done on the breadboard so far is what I think you meant. I used pin 3 of the first 4013 as the output and mirrored the 4013 setup on the second. I hasven't fired it up yet. I'll take  look at the link and then see if what I did worked.

El Heisenberg

Oh, about the image posting. You can create a photobucket account real easy and then upload to that. Then just copy the link address and post it here.

wordstep

That is what I meant. As I mentained above, try pin1 of ICX as out   or   pin2 & pin5  of ICX as out.    out ---> connected to the 1M resistor

El Heisenberg

:D

That is exactly what I had on breadboard and it worked perfectly. Thanks man. It was too simple for all this fuss. Thanks for helpin.

The 2nd sub octave is really crazy. Faint and blue boxish. I'm gunna try the mod isilder drew in the first schem I posted on this breadboarded version. See if I can run both sub octaves through it. As of now it has the two sub octaves, the clean, and an octave up. Crap, I might try another octave up. But I was thinkin with the spare of amp I'll have left from the LM324 I could run the clean signal into it and distort or overdrive it.

wordstep

Congratuation.

About the out from   pin2 & pin5     or  pin1   , the frequency is inverted with each other, so there is 180 degree phase shift.

When you mix the 1st octave down   with   the 2nd  octave down, you might have different result when the  2nd  octave down is same phase     or    180 degree phase shift    with respect to the 1st octave down.  That is what I guess. 

El Heisenberg

Heard not much difference between pins 1 and 2.

One problem, I'm getting a weird octave up whining on the first octave down when it isn't turned all the way up. Its quiet, but enough to make it sound too synthy when it's mixed in. When it's mixed out, it's fine, when it's maxed it sounds great, but in between I get weird distortion OVER the clean octave.

2nd octave sounds great. I think it sounds better from pin 1 tho, from pin 2 it was a little more nintendo'ish from the little I tested it out.

I'm using

2x NTE4013B

1x NTE859

2x LM324

two NTE ge diodes and two MPF102s. Three 2N4401s and one 2N4403.

problem with first sub oct might be that I'm using the NTE859 for that section.