My new MiniAmp 2.0 (incl. soundsamples and schematic)

Started by FcKw, September 23, 2010, 09:03:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtudoran

Quote from: merlinb on September 24, 2010, 11:02:43 AM
Quote from: gtudoran on September 24, 2010, 06:23:30 AM
Hmmm nop... as far as i remember this is the way i did it...
And according to this is ok.... i didn't use the diode thow.
Ah, the difference is that the diagram on my website is for a DC coupled stage. Your circuits shows an AC coupled stage (preceded by the tone stack caps), so that triode has no bias. However, if you like the sound then who am I to argue!  :icon_cool:

That is correct merlin.. excuse my lack of attention  :icon_redface: i've looked in one amp now and there was a bias resistor :(, i was @work when i was writing those lines, so yes is a drawing mistake ... and that is strange because my printed schematic looks ok.. hmm could be the ghosts thow. ??? ???

Best regards,
Gabriel Tudoran
Analog Sound

goulashnakov

Quote from: DougH on September 24, 2010, 11:37:41 AM
Fckw- sounds and looks great!  :icon_cool:

Any chance of a clip with it turned up more?

+1.  Let's hear it roar!  :icon_twisted:

"[It] ain't about 'Booty.'  It's about Tranzzistahs... ya dig?"

FcKw

Quote from: gtudoran on September 24, 2010, 08:50:47 AM
My OPT has 8k to 4 and 8ohm output impedance. The maximum distorsion that you can get is for classic rock/blues rock but with a boost pedal in front or with a OD pedal you can get a lot of gain for lead and heavy rock... i love it. I think that is like more then a power amp with el84 in SE configuration. If i remember well i have 20-22mA idle current @ 170V anode voltage and @ full blast i get that power tube compression (very nice for studio recording or for small gigs if you use a mike to go in a PA).

Ah OK,  I used 17.6k primary with 8Ohm secondary.

Quote from: DougH on September 24, 2010, 11:37:41 AM
Fckw- sounds and looks great!  :icon_cool:

Any chance of a clip with it turned up more?

Quote from: goulashnakov on September 24, 2010, 04:20:57 PM
+1.  Let's hear it roar!  :icon_twisted:

Yeah, somehow I forgot to do some more samples with the volume cranked... I'll see what I can do about some additional samples... :)

Patrick

gtudoran

A little video with the amp and a TS808 in front of it; first part is without TS and the 2nd is with TS808. I'm waiting for your opinion guys, especially FcKw :).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8XvB8pFO4s

Best regards,
Gabriel Tudoran
Analog Sound

goulashnakov

You know, it always makes me smile when I hear someone demonstrate the true way to use a tubescreamer with an amp.  That said,  the 2nd 1/2 of that demo really rocked.  High five!
"[It] ain't about 'Booty.'  It's about Tranzzistahs... ya dig?"

FcKw

Quote from: gtudoran on September 25, 2010, 01:03:20 PM
A little video with the amp and a TS808 in front of it; first part is without TS and the 2nd is with TS808. I'm waiting for your opinion guys, especially FcKw :).

Best regards,
Gabriel Tudoran
Analog Sound

That sounds really nice, but what is that static sine noise in the background, is this coming from the amp?

Patrick

gtudoran

;D ;D ;D ;D nop... is just the cooler from my f-king computer - is a 3GHz Intel... and is hot like hell.

Best regards,
Gabriel Tudoran
Analog Sound

petemoore

Dern fine Amp there Gabe !
  Two words for the video: "Very real".
  Thanks for demonstrating your cool stuff with us.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

FcKw

Hey guys,
you asked for humbuckers? You asked for the MiniAmp 2.0 cranked?

so here are some more soundsamples with the Tele at low gain settings ... just kidding ;D:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1en5tWR3d20

greets
Patrick

gtudoran

Excellent sound Patric ... very nice .. good cranked sound (it's a pure class A sound :D )
Very good job. :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin:

Best regards,
Gabriel Tudoran
Analog Sound

zambo

Very nice job on that! Good sound sample / vids too!
I wonder what happens if I .......

soapamp

FcKw

Quote from: gtudoran on September 28, 2010, 04:27:54 PM
Excellent sound Patric ... very nice .. good cranked sound (it's a pure class A sound :D )
Very good job. :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin:

Best regards,
Gabriel Tudoran
Analog Sound
Quote from: zambo on September 28, 2010, 07:12:07 PM
Very nice job on that! Good sound sample / vids too!

Thank you!

Quote from: soapamp on September 28, 2010, 08:32:05 PM
Do you have video clip in clean sound.? 

You meen more clean than the clean part in this video and the cleaner parts of the first video in the first post?

Patrick

lowend

gtudoran

I don't think that you will have a super clean sound at a loud volume, even with a class B approch ... as far as i can see this is more class A and in that class you will have even less headroom (ii think now that the output power is @max. of 2.5w of clean power and 3-4w @ full blast). More volume you can have useing a speaker with big SPL (over 96db). My amp in this topology has about 4w of clean signal and 6.5-7.5w with the amp cranked, but this is reative to the speaker you use: more SPL and you will have more sound pressure witch will be translated trough loudness (hope it makes sense what i've wrote here).

Best regards,
Gabriel Tudoran
Analog Sound

PS:  if you like more power you could use 2x6n6p or 2xecc99 in a parallel push pull configuration (the Ra will go down about 1/2 so the power transfer will also be higher, but for double the loudness you will need power x 10 (if i remember well) for the same SPL); so a parallel push pull configuration will not give you powerx10 (that's for sure) but will increase the headroom.

DougH

Quote from: FcKw on September 28, 2010, 03:20:46 PM
Hey guys,
you asked for humbuckers? You asked for the MiniAmp 2.0 cranked?

so here are some more soundsamples with the Tele at low gain settings ... just kidding ;D:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1en5tWR3d20

greets
Patrick

Sounds great! Nice touch response too!

I'm building a box for my ECC99 amp right now. Will post some clips when it's complete.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

DougH

Best regards,
Gabriel Tudoran
Analog Sound

Wow, yours sounds very good too! I love how much headroom you guys are getting out of these low-wattage amps.

Re. 2 ECC99's in parallel- that's what I did in my amp (linked above) and with an effiicient speaker it can get fairly loud. Probably not loud enough to play with a drummer, but great for recording, and the speaker gets enough air moving in the room for it to feed back and get responsive.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

FcKw

Quote from: lowend on September 29, 2010, 03:34:39 AM
Curious if it goes usefully loud at suprclean??

That depends on what you define as usefully loud. :) For me an amp for recording and bedroom uses is usefully loud when it is able to drown the sound of the pure strings in front of me, considering this the clean sounds are definitly usefully loud.

Quote from: DougH on September 29, 2010, 09:31:53 AM
Sounds great! Nice touch response too!

I'm building a box for my ECC99 amp right now. Will post some clips when it's complete.

Nice, I'm looking forward to it. :)

greets
Patrick

gtudoran

Quote from: DougH on September 29, 2010, 09:50:24 AM

Best regards,
Gabriel Tudoran
Analog Sound

Wow, yours sounds very good too! I love how much headroom you guys are getting out of these low-wattage amps.

Re. 2 ECC99's in parallel- that's what I did in my amp (linked above) and with an effiicient speaker it can get fairly loud. Probably not loud enough to play with a drummer, but great for recording, and the speaker gets enough air moving in the room for it to feed back and get responsive.

Thank you Doug,
I also have a project with 2x6n6p russian double triodes (as far as i remember 6n6p supports a little more current trough 40mA and a total power of 8w for the anodes - 4 on each half). An i use them bc they have low plate resistance. I'm very intrested to see how 2xecc99 are working :D.

Best regards,
Gabriel Tudoran
Analog Sound

FcKw

Here are some inside pics, as requested. :)

greets
Patrick