How much pedals do you sell in a month as a pedal builder

Started by Kitarist, September 27, 2010, 07:16:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

culturejam

Wow, great assessment, Joe! :)

There is also a fairly high supply of poorly made and yet still high-priced "boutique" pedals. It amazes me that these builders continue to do well given the economic downturn, the great used market, and competitors who are priced similarly or less but with well-made products.

TGP is a powerful force.  :D

DougH

Quote from: joegagan on September 30, 2010, 11:06:23 AM
i forgot, in 2001, dave barber was also a well recognized successful name. he survived the economy downturn of 2001 by coming out with a pedal line that would retail for around 130 as opposed to the previous boutique 'mark'of 180- 220. the lessons he learned in 2001 are part of his success recipe to this day.

Yes, I believe ZVex sort of did that too with his "Vexter" line.

Here's a book you might be interested in, Joe. I just ordered a copy. You kind of touched on some of the themes in your previous post.

I got a hardback copy for $10 at Amazon. Looks like a good read.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

DougH

Quote from: culturejam on September 30, 2010, 11:50:58 AM
There is also a fairly high supply of poorly made and yet still high-priced "boutique" pedals. It amazes me that these builders continue to do well given the economic downturn, the great used market, and competitors who are priced similarly or less but with well-made products.

TGP is a powerful force.  :D

Yes, a lot of it is a "cult of personality" these days. But that's the way this kind of stuff works. When you look at other markets like "designer" shoes/accessories (we have an upscale mall with a pair of $350 flip-flops for example), audiophile gear, and other luxury items it adds some context. This really isn't much different than a lot of that. With some people, the *more* they pay for a "name"- the more secure they feel. That's never going to change.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

Paul Marossy

Quote from: DougH on September 30, 2010, 12:05:35 PMYes, a lot of it is a "cult of personality" these days. But that's the way this kind of stuff works. When you look at other markets like "designer" shoes/accessories (we have an upscale mall with a pair of $350 flip-flops for example), audiophile gear, and other luxury items it adds some context. This really isn't much different than a lot of that. With some people, the *more* they pay for a "name"- the more secure they feel. That's never going to change.

And there is a sucker born every minute.  :icon_lol:

deadastronaut

Quote from: DougH on September 30, 2010, 12:05:35 PM
the *more* they pay for a "name"- the more secure they feel. That's never going to change.

hmmmm....might change my name to roland boss.

yep people are generally sheep when it comes to buying stuff!.whether its better or not!..
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//