Distortion + low volume fuzzy sounding (not good)

Started by Chrisq206, October 05, 2010, 04:48:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrisq206

Do new Dist +s sound fuzzy w/ low output? I built a DOD 250 based on the GGG schematic and it sounded great. I just picked up a Dist + and it does not. It had a burned 10k resistor (r9) which I replaced, but it still sounds like a fuzz w low output (barely unity with the pedal turned all the way up). Is there something else that could be wrong, or do they just sound like this out of the box?

Chris

petemoore

DEBUGGING - What to do when it doesn't work
  Sticky thread. The stuff we need to solve the circuit problems, read and complete debug thread tasks.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Labaris

Quote from: petemoore on October 05, 2010, 07:14:51 PM
DEBUGGING - What to do when it doesn't work
  Sticky thread. The stuff we need to solve the circuit problems, read and complete debug thread tasks.

Yes Chrisq206, do that. The best way to get help in this kind of issues.

And it sounds to me like there's too much gain in the circuit, or bad/wrong caps not filtering what they should...
A long way is the sum of small steps.

Chrisq206

So they're not supposed to sound that way? I wanted to be sure before I started trying to fix it. If someone could let me know, that would be great.

petemoore

What value output pot ?
  100k...because the output of this unit isn't all that boosted.
  The output of the DIST+ is directly controlled by the clipping diode threshold voltage, nothing above X gets past them [if you used Ge clipping diodes, an Si will increase output.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.