Onboard Preamp Circuit Power Questions

Started by DaKraut, November 04, 2010, 11:11:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaKraut

I am planning on designing an onboard jfet preamp for my guitar, but want to have a design that when the 9 volt battery runs out, the signal would just bypass the circuit. Is there any way to do this, or is it just too complicated/impossible.

I am looking at this circuit, and am also wondering if the j201 could be used instead of the suggested transistor

http://www.marshallschematics.com/buffer.shtml

Taylor

Designing something to automatically bypass when the battery is dead would be pretty tough, not just electrically, but conceptually. What is "dead"? 8 volts? 7? 2? 0?

Instead, you can do what is common in basses with onboard preamps - have an active/passive switch. Useful also when playing into a fuzz face/fuzz factory/etc. which expects a guitar pickup impedance to sound right. The switch just bypasses the preamp like you would an effect. You'll need to put a 250k or so volume pot before the preamp, otherwise you'd need separate volumes for active and passive mode.

petemoore

I put a bypass jumper across the top side of a DPDT pushpull potSw. [the two ''topside throws'']
  I connected the pickup to the left pole.
  I connected the volume pot input to the right pole.
  A stratoblaster went across the remaining two throws, at the bottom of the switch, opposite the bypass jumper.
  When in boost mode: Pickup>LPole>L bottom throw>circuit input>circuit output>R bottom throw>Rpole>volume control>out.
  When in bypass mode: Pickup> Lpole, topLthrow, topRthrow, Rpole>volume control>out.
  Works fine, I dropped the gain to 12% or 20% boost so it didn't superblast the speakers when playing clean/worked well with fuzzes.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Gus

panterafanatic

Why not just get a 5 volt relay? SmallBear sells one with a footprint of a 14/16 pin IC. Run a series resistor. Once the battery cannot supply the current for it, the relay switches back, and then bypasses the buffer.

The only problem is that you'd have to design a relay driver if you wanted to bypass it manually as well.
-Jared

N.S.B.A. ~ Coming soon

Gurner

Quote from: panterafanatic on November 05, 2010, 09:32:16 AM
Why not just get a 5 volt relay? SmallBear sells one with a footprint of a 14/16 pin IC. Run a series resistor. Once the battery cannot supply the current for it, the relay switches back, and then bypasses the buffer.

The only problem is that you'd have to design a relay driver if you wanted to bypass it manually as well.

Except the relay will drain the battery quicker - so you have a peverse scenario where the 'solution' put in place to detect a dying battery, makes the battery die (vs the drain for a basic jfet preamp). Moreover, since a jfet preamp has very little drain ...you're putting in circuitry to detect something that happens once in a blue moon.

Sometimes there's a yearn to over-engineer (& I'm guilty of that m'lud), but for this situation I much prefer this setup....

Battery starts dying -> an ear detects this  -> half a second later a finger toggles out the jfet preamp   ....job done (& it's full of win  ;D)

petemoore

9v circuit...and link specifies:
   low-Vdss FET if you know what you're doing.
  See Runoff Groove, Fetzer Valve, includes a study of various Jfet's @9v, and related testing/selection circuit.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

DaKraut

I have thought about the idea of using a phantom power design, and do like the idea alot, the same system could also power a guitar with say emg actives.

The only opposition is you would need to keep around a box with a power supply in it, with the onboard battery you can use any setup as long as its your guitar, much more freedom. Although you could make a buffer cable and as long as you have that use it for any guitars, but i would like an onboard buffer on my main guitar.

Gus

What else you can do with the phantom is use an external power supply box with say AA batteries.

The box would have a TRS to bass and TS to amp jacks and you could even clip it to the guitar/bass strap.  With the extra room you could mount a battery monitor that would light an LED when the battery was getting low to indicate to flip a switch on the bass to bypass the active electronics

Here are some links

http://www.discovercircuits.com/DJ-Circuits/9vbatmon1.htm

http://www.discovercircuits.com/DJ-Circuits/voltst1.htm

http://psn.quake.net/eco8/battery_monitor.html

search for "voltage level monitoring ICs"  etc.

DaKraut

I look at those circuits and (because I have practically no experience with making circuits) wonder why something similar can't be used to just shut off the circuit when the voltage drops below a certain point.