Signal Joiner (merge split signals)

Started by WhenBoredomPeaks, November 11, 2010, 05:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhenBoredomPeaks

A picture tells more than a thousand words:

The A/B box is not a signal splitter, just a passive, true-bypass A/B box. I would use the A signal line as a clean line with comps, chrous, eq and stuff and the other line as a dirt "channel" with ODs and distos. All the pedals would be turned on all the time in the lines.

Now i need a box to join those lines without signal loss. (Where actual signal is coming from only one of the lines but i can imagine that turned on pedals will add some noise coming from the other line)

Can this approach work? What should i use to join those lines? Will i get loads of noise coming from the unused line which will be mixed together with the used line so the output will be to noisy?

caress

build a passive a/b and the section after the RETURN of most any splitter/blender pedal into one box.
or just make it active... you'd have your signal go in/out of the enclosure, as well as send/return to the 2 chains so the a/b and the "magic box" would be in one enclosure!

look up splitter, blender, etc. for a schematic

chi_boy

Quote from: WhenBoredomPeaks on November 11, 2010, 05:22:31 PM
A picture tells more than a thousand words:

The A/B box is not a signal splitter, just a passive, true-bypass A/B box. I would use the A signal line as a clean line with comps, chrous, eq and stuff and the other line as a dirt "channel" with ODs and distos. All the pedals would be turned on all the time in the lines.

Now i need a box to join those lines without signal loss. (Where actual signal is coming from only one of the lines but i can imagine that turned on pedals will add some noise coming from the other line)

Can this approach work? What should i use to join those lines? Will i get loads of noise coming from the unused line which will be mixed together with the used line so the output will be to noisy?

Could you use a mini mixer as the "magic box"?

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/mixer_sc.gif

Or could you make the "magic box" the passive A/B switch, and make the original A/B box a simple slitter that is always on, so no switches at all?  Just a box with 1 in and 2 outs that are always on.
"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people." — Admiral Hyman G. Rickover - 1900-1986

The Leftover PCB Page

Processaurus

The magic box can just be a special Y cable if you wanted, with series 10K resistors inline with each of the returns to sum them together safely:

Line A --------vvvv-----------------┬------------- out
Line B --------vvvv-----------------┘

PRR

> without signal loss.

Is this essential? Can't you just turn-up the amp? 

If you turn-up, just use a passive mixer like Ben posted. Works.

However....

> i can imagine that turned on pedals will add some noise coming from the other line

Yes. All the stray noise comes through. That's why you probably want box "X" to be a switch, not a mix.
  • SUPPORTER

WhenBoredomPeaks

Yeah, making the Magic Box the A/B box is an excellent idea. I gonna make it that way.

So now i need an always-on splitter at the frontend. A simple buffer will be enough to split my signal without high-end loss?

(btw i have no problem with building an extra box  for this, i have to make two other "utility" (switcher, looper, etc) pedals so i can put this splitter in one of them.

B Tremblay

B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

WhenBoredomPeaks

Quote from: B Tremblay on November 12, 2010, 05:47:13 AM
The Splitter-Blend, perhaps?

i have personal problems with that circuit. ;D

i built one at least a year ago. every once in a while i return to it to debug it for some more but i could never make it work, on the long run this is the only circuit i could never make work. when i look at it lying on my desk it always reminds me of my weakness.

maybe i should revisit the beast and rebuild it on a vero board cos i am not really good with perf. i would swap the mix pot to a footswitch in A/B switch style.

but then i think i would need only the splitter section of it.

IvIark

Here's a 3 channel JFET splitter/mixer I put together.  It's based on the AMZ splitter and a fairly standard JFET mixer circuit.  I made it 3 channels so I can connect two effects in parallel and then use a patch cable in the 3rd channel if I wanted pass undigitized dry signal and run digital effects wet only.

Hides-His-Eyes

Build a "TB" loop, but instead of making one side bypass, make it the other loop. Requires a box with six jacks but (unless you want trails) solves the problem with fewer parts than any other even after you get rid of the A/B switch!

B Tremblay

Quote from: WhenBoredomPeaks on November 12, 2010, 06:19:12 AM
Quote from: B Tremblay on November 12, 2010, 05:47:13 AM
The Splitter-Blend, perhaps?

i have personal problems with that circuit. ;D

i built one at least a year ago. every once in a while i return to it to debug it for some more but i could never make it work, on the long run this is the only circuit i could never make work. when i look at it lying on my desk it always reminds me of my weakness.

maybe i should revisit the beast and rebuild it on a vero board cos i am not really good with perf. i would swap the mix pot to a footswitch in A/B switch style.

I'm sorry to hear that you haven't been able to get your build working.
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com