News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

MN3011 replacement

Started by gefi, November 17, 2010, 09:03:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gefi

Hello
I'm looking for a replacement for the Mn3011, anyone knows any?

Greetings

Mark Hammer

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Mark Hammer on November 17, 2010, 09:24:36 AM
None exist.  period.

+1  8)  That is.... if you are talking about the MN3101.
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Mark Hammer

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on November 17, 2010, 09:35:54 AM
Quote from: Mark Hammer on November 17, 2010, 09:24:36 AM
None exist.  period.

+1  8)  That is.... if you are talking about the MN3101.
MN3101 is the clock.  MN3011 is a "special" BBD in the MN30xx series.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Mark Hammer on November 17, 2010, 01:35:55 PM

Special = Higher price & often obsolete  ::)
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Scruffie

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on November 17, 2010, 01:53:35 PM
Quote from: Mark Hammer on November 17, 2010, 01:35:55 PM

Special = Higher price & often obsolete  ::)
Yes it does, but that is because not many were produced so any demand out strips supply and this chip actually was pretty special as far as BBDs go, quite different from anything else.

They can be obtained, what's it for? If it's for a repair then that's fair enough, if you want to build something with it then you're on your own but i'd suggest you didn't try...

Mark Hammer

gefi

Hello
I need it to make an analog reverb

Scruffie

Quote from: gefi on November 17, 2010, 03:53:35 PM
Hello
I need it to make an analog reverb
In that case i'd forget it, it's really not worth it, by all accounts the reverb it produces is pretty poor and the chip is rare, expensive and complex to use and better saved for repairs. If you want an analog reverb, get a spring  ;)

You can also of course buy many digital chips to make DIYable Reverbs, they'll sound much better than a BBD based one, if you want something really simple, Earth Scum has just posted a nice PT2399 reverb that you could look at.

Or buy a pedal that already uses the chip, the DOD FX-45 I think was there analog reverb, uses two of the MN3011 chips infact.

Mark Hammer

While I am sure they make interesting sounds, not a single schematic for an MN3011 "reverb" that I have seen includes any of the things a person would want to make realistic-sounding reverb.  What you typically see is that the later delays (taps after more stages) are mixed a little lower, but there is no adjustment for the relative decay of early/late reflections,a nd certainly no differential lowpass filtering for earlier and later taps to mimic what an actual reverberant space does.

basically, these chips came and went, and were replaced with simple digital solutions, too fast for any thoughtful improvements on the design of analog reverb to occur and take hold.

As Scruffie correctly notes, if you want a 3011-based reverb that sounds halfway decent, you're going to need to design it yourself from the ground up.  Of course, if you are simply replacing a dysfunctional MN3011 in an existing device, then that's different.

gefi

Hello

this is reverb

Greetings

EATyourGuitar

I heard the stories before but it was always people trying to make analog delay. like the suhr or the moog.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

rustypinto

I built the above project. The end product was a very "bouncy" sounding echo/ reverb. Its not a whole lot different than dialing an analog delay back to it's fastest speed and getting what people describe as "bucket reverb." Its also hissy, which comes from the MN3011 BBD. I'm not sure what kind of reverb you want here, but if you are thinking traditional spring, hall, etc then forget about it. For that, i recommend the FV-1 project.
  • SUPPORTER

Mark Hammer

Let me guess, no companding?