Echo base Modulation Issue / Multipedals: Series or Parallel?

Started by onthetundra, November 18, 2010, 06:36:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

onthetundra

Hey all,
Ive put together an Echo Base with the PCB you can buy on ebay. Ive got it working nicely except for the modulation. The LED doesnt flicker when the mod switch is on or off, there is no perceivable modulation in the on position, but when I manipulate the LFO Depth pot while the pedal is delaying I can hear a change in tone as if it were modulating. These things are supposed to have crazy modulation and Im not getting really anything. Ive done all the mods besides the diode lift mod, so I have the LFO depth, speed, and wave shape pots all hooked up. Some differences I have in components are: I used an NTE 294 inplace of the bc560. This shouldnt be a problem. I used an NTE 123ap instead of the 2n5089 which shouldnt be a problem. Im using a CD4066bn which is the same as every other 4066 Im assuming. Everything is hooked up nicely. Ive tried different mod on-off switches. the only thing I havent tried is replacing the A100K LFO Depth pot. I have the npn transistor socketed and Im wondering if I should just put it right in the board for a better connection. I dont know if pictures would help because its a mess of wires b/c of the modifications. I am using regular pots with wire connections because thats what I have.

A separate issue is I want to do a rebote delay with an EHX pulsar in one box. I do multi pedlas all the time that have independant stomp switches but run off one 9v power source with one input one output. I run the power in parallel and the input outpu are just in series from one switch to the next. This seems to be working fine but for the the Tremolay I want to build, Id like to have one switch with a blend knob between the effects. Ive tried this with an octave up/octave down fuzz I built but the leading pedal's volume pot ends up controlling the whole thing. Is there a thread on here that explains what Im trying to do r does anyone have any advice?

Thanks in Advance.
OnTheTundra

Taylor

I'm the guy who created the PCB you have (if it's blue).

The NTE294 has a different pinout than the BC560. Did you swap the legs around to go in the right spots when you substituted that transistor?

The modulation portion of the circuit is the right side of the board, the TL072 and surrounding parts. I'd remove the modulation on/off switch completely while trying to get the modulation working. I would also remove the waveshape pot for now until you get the modulation happening, then add it once it's sorted.

onthetundra

I put the 294 in there correctly and now I can hear  difference when I switch the mod switch to ON.  The thing now is that its still not a very deep modulation. I didn't take out the Wave shape pot yet and when I adjust that it sounds like Im adjusting the mod speed. The actual speed mod is not doing anything that I can hear. Its still sounds pretty cool as is but from what I know about this pedal, the modulation is supposed to be pretty crazy, right?  One other thing, when I turn the time all the way down I get a slight farting sound.

Thanks

slacker

If the LED turns on and off  when you turn the effect on and off but doesn't flash when you turn the modulation on then like Taylor said the problem is somewhere around the LFO (the right hand opamp). I'd do what Taylor suggested first, or at least double check that you have done the mods correctly.
The fact that you can hear a change when you move the pots probably means the NTE 294 is in correctly and is working, so once you've got the LFO working which will make the LED flash then it should work.

onthetundra

So I took the switch out for the modulation and it works fine now, other than not having that switch.  I put it in a box with a DM2 clone that I added a modulation led/ldr to.  Im pretty happy with it now.  I think I'll go back and fix up the multiple echo base boards I tried building when I was starting out.  Thanks for the help.