Metal Faceplates - rounded corners

Started by Beo, November 28, 2010, 04:34:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beo

I'm thinking of making my multieffects box modular, so that I can swap out circuits down the road if I choose. The ideal way would be to use faceplates, aluminum or brass. I've found a few sources for plate metal (K&S Hobby Metal, online metal sales, etc). However, I don't want to cut and finish faceplates myself. I want rounded corners, and I'd like the edges very straight and each piece the same dimensions (roughly 2"x4", but I could adapt).

Does anyone know of a good source for affordable "finished" metal, particularly in regards to edges and corners? I've checked the nameplate/nametag etching websites, and they don't seem well suited or affordable. Does anyone have any good advice on working with metal for pedal faceplates? (Note, I intend to etch my own lettering / graphics)

John Lyons

You need a corner cutter or a file and some practice.
A file is much less expensive. see....

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Earthscum

check trophy places. Or, better yet, a good sign shop (a REAL sign shop) could probably make them for ya out of better materials than a trophy shop.
Give a man Fuzz, and he'll jam for a day... teach a man how to make a Fuzz and he'll never jam again!

http://www.facebook.com/Earthscum

Beo

John, what thickness sheet did you use for that plate? Does it lie flat and snug held there by the pot nuts?

John Lyons

It's some kind of roofing flashing sheet
I got at the hardware store. .
I used epoxy to hold the edges down.
I cut the corners as well as the whole sheet
with long jawed tin snips.
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/